Re: map panning

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:43 pm

luciderous wrote:Based on 2015-03-05 (r11854) - 'dev'
  • LMB-panning works great! Yet there is default cursor visible when panning - forcing the default game cursor to work everywhere would do the trick. Also, it feels like the old MMB-panning works more smoothly than LMB-panning. Or is it me?

There's a lot of little details that can be played with as far as how, exactly, the drag-pan semantic works. Right now, I'm using OS-drawn cursors, which means that the cursor position used during a game update loop tends to lag a little behind the displayed cursor position. That makes a photoshop-like "grab-pan" semantic look a little funny, as the the cursor's position on the map will wander a bit during a pan.

One possible fix for this is to hide the cursor during panning (which I used to do by default during a middle-mouse pan). I've just exposed an option "hide pan cursor" that lets you switch between hidden and "grab" cursor pans for both left-mouse and middle-mouse pans. Also -- "hidden panning" is inverted relative to the "grab pan" behavior, as that felt more natural to me. Hidden cursor panning is also current a bit faster than visible-cursor panning.

Those of you with strong options about drag-pan semantics, please let me know what version of the setup you prefer. The numbers are easy enough to tweak -- and it's not a semantic I've used much in other games, as I tend to prefer arrow key panning.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:01 pm

luciderous wrote:
  • RMB doesn’t close the top layer anymore and that’s great! However, it would be nice to be able to close the system view by simply LMB-clicking on the starmap anywhere

As of r11863, this is now the intended behavior. I say "intended" because we need to do something a little clever to distinguish between the left-click to drag semantic, and the left-click to deselect semantic. Right now, clicks where the LMB is down for less than 0.09 seconds trigger a deselect, but if you hold down the LMB longer than that, the UI will assume you want to pan. Again, the threshold is easy to adjust, so, if you feel like the current build is "missing" moments when you intend a "click" rather than a "drag", let me know.

Return to “Testing”