Road map thread?

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
echo2361

Road map thread?

Postby echo2361 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:21 pm

As I've been testing out the game and making my usual notes, I've found myself really wishing there was a developer road map thread I could reference which would tell me if the issues I am encountering are already being addressed. As I read the various threads in this forums I see bits and pieces of information about what the dev's are already aware of and how their list of priorities looks, but I would really like to see a centralized thread that gets updates maybe once a week showing the development road map.

I'm not looking for anything too complex here. No need for fancy graphics like Amplitude Studios provides for their 4x game road maps, as seen here http://g2g.amplitude-studios.com/RoadMap2/Endless-Legend. A simple stickied thread that shows a basic layout of what is on the dev's plate, and in what order things will be tackled, would be great for me and the community as a whole.

If we could see what issues have already been noted by the devs, we could tailor our feedback better. We could also offer our suggestions on how much of a priority certain things should be receiving, such as Devildog did recently when he reached out to ask for a higher priority on ship movement fixes. I think having a central thread updated once a week to show the testers the current progress and focus on the game's development would go a long way in helping the testers give useful feedback. As it stands now, I'm not providing a ton of feedback myself because I think most of the issues I'm running into have been brought up by others. Of course, I can't be sure that every issue has been brought up, but it is hard to tell with things so spread out on the forums.

Anyways, that is my request. Hopefully we'll see something like this in the future. Thanks for reading and as always keep up the good work!

sven
Site Admin

Re: Road map thread?

Postby sven » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:58 pm

echo2361 wrote:A simple stickied thread that shows a basic layout of what is on the dev's plate, and in what order things will be tackled, would be great for me and the community as a whole.

Yeah, this seems like a very sensible idea. Arioch and I will need to talk a bit about just how much detail we want to go into here -- but, maintaining a public roadmap of one sort or another does seem prudent.

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:33 pm

echo2361 wrote: As I read the various threads in this forums I see bits and pieces of information about what the dev's are already aware of and how their list of priorities looks, but I would really like to see a centralized thread that gets updates maybe once a week showing the development road map.

If we could see what issues have already been noted by the devs, we could tailor our feedback better. We could also offer our suggestions on how much of a priority certain things should be receiving, such as Devildog did recently when he reached out to ask for a higher priority on ship movement fixes. I think having a central thread updated once a week to show the testers the current progress and focus on the game's development would go a long way in helping the testers give useful feedback. As it stands now, I'm not providing a ton of feedback myself because I think most of the issues I'm running into have been brought up by others. Of course, I can't be sure that every issue has been brought up, but it is hard to tell with things so spread out on the forums.

Anyways, that is my request. Hopefully we'll see something like this in the future. Thanks for reading and as always keep up the good work!

And on that note I see your point, but at the same time the team is not that big. The guys main focus, as I see it, is fixing the bugs and develop the game.

And still you have the changelogs that sorto state how the current version is.

I like the idea of having focal point of how the game is progressing, but I don't think it should be weekly update - necessarily.
1. Desktop Corsair 450D Case, X99 MSI mobo, Intel 5820K i7(Hexacore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia GPU 680 GTX driver v.364.51, Windows 10 Pro
2. Laptop ASUS ROG G751JY, Intel i7 4720(Quadcore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia 980M(Driver 364.51), Windows 10

echo2361

Postby echo2361 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:10 pm

Big Imp wrote:And on that note I see your point, but at the same time the team is not that big. The guys main focus, as I see it, is fixing the bugs and develop the game.

I like the idea of having focal point of how the game is progressing, but I don't think it should be weekly update - necessarily.

The changelog post is certainly nice to have and provides us a great way of seeing the latest updates being made, but I still have no idea what the currently priorities and agenda are in the immediate future. I'm just looking for a simple thread saying things like, "This coming week our focus is on improving ship movement and the research tree system." The updates to it wouldn't necessarily have to be once a week. Maybe just twice a month or even once a month would be good, but then that would require the devs to look ahead further to predict their schedules which can be tough hence my suggestion of once a week.

Not looking to take up the devs time with this. I know how precious time is to a small dev team. I've worked with even smaller ones in the past. I'm just trying to find a way to give helpful and immediate feedback to them. If I know they are focused on game feature X this week, I'll tailor my testing and such to that feature to give hopefully relevant feedback. Otherwise, I'm just throwing things out at random that they may or may not have any immediate plans to address. Just looking to bring a little order to the chaos ;)

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:53 pm

echo2361 wrote:
Big Imp wrote:And on that note I see your point, but at the same time the team is not that big. The guys main focus, as I see it, is fixing the bugs and develop the game.

The changelog post is certainly nice to have and provides us a great way of seeing the latest updates being made, but I still have no idea what the currently priorities and agenda are in the immediate future. I'm just looking for a simple thread saying things like, "This coming week our focus is on improving ship movement and the research tree system." The updates to it wouldn't necessarily have to be once a week. Maybe just twice a month or even once a month would be good, but then that would require the devs to look ahead further to predict their schedules which can be tough hence my suggestion of once a week.

Not looking to take up the devs time with this. I know how precious time is to a small dev team. I've worked with even smaller ones in the past. I'm just trying to find a way to give helpful and immediate feedback to them. If I know they are focused on game feature X this week, I'll tailor my testing and such to that feature to give hopefully relevant feedback. Otherwise, I'm just throwing things out at random that they may or may not have any immediate plans to address. Just looking to bring a little order to the chaos ;)

Well you have some valid points. But lets see what they say.
I am concerned, that they have to keep posting updates more than programming the game.
But I agree that it is also to their benefit on the long run...
1. Desktop Corsair 450D Case, X99 MSI mobo, Intel 5820K i7(Hexacore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia GPU 680 GTX driver v.364.51, Windows 10 Pro
2. Laptop ASUS ROG G751JY, Intel i7 4720(Quadcore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia 980M(Driver 364.51), Windows 10

Return to “Testing”