Customization

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Chasm

Customization

Postby Chasm » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:14 am

I don't know if anyone remembers civilization 2, but in that game a large portion of the data was easily customizable via textfiles. That made the game very customizable, and gave it a fairly large replay value due to mods. Would something like that be able to be implemented here?

Arioch

Re: Customization

Postby Arioch » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:41 am

In Civilization 2, each unit was a small sprite and some stats. Of course they were easy to mod.

spitfire_ch

Postby spitfire_ch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:27 am

But are there plans to make the game modable (if it isn't already)? In my experience, a good modding community greatly helps prolonging the lifetime of a game (e.g. Sword of the Stars which enjoyed activity for many years).

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:54 am

The game is very moddable in theory, as everything you'd need to change is in editable script files and standard graphics file formats. In practice, it's a bit more complicated, as there are a lot of rules to follow and not much in the way of documentation or tools to help.

spitfire_ch

Postby spitfire_ch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:04 pm

Ok, but that's rather good news, I think. I am sure the modding community will be able to figure many things out.

bjg

Postby bjg » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:54 pm

spitfire_ch wrote:Ok, but that's rather good news, I think. I am sure the modding community will be able to figure many things out.

I don't think it makes much sense to mode a fast moving "target". Unless it's not fast moving anymore, which would be disappointing.
Last edited by bjg on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spitfire_ch

Postby spitfire_ch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:34 pm

bjg wrote:
spitfire_ch wrote:Ok, but that's rather good news, I think. I am sure the modding community will be able to figure many things out.

I don't think it makes much sense to mode a fast moving "target". Unless it's not fast moving anymore, which wold be disappointing.

Yes, absolutely, I agree with that.

Return to “Testing”