Artifical Planet mechanics

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
bjg

Artifical Planet mechanics

Postby bjg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Could you elaborate on the Artifical Planet mechanics? Even if it's under construction it's hard to test if don't understand.
It's not just rebuilding Gas Giants, and it's not just feeling the space up to four planets (have a system with three, and the Artifical Planet is inactive).
BTW, why show inactive Artifical Planet project at all?

sven
Site Admin

Re: Artifical Planet mechanics

Postby sven » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:32 pm

bjg wrote:Could you elaborate on the Artifical Planet mechanics? Even if it's under construction it's hard to test if don't understand.
It's not just rebuilding Gas Giants, and it's not just feeling the space up to four planets (have a system with three, and the Artifical Planet is inactive).

Different star types have different potentials for planet development. Red Giants can only have 2 planets, while blue giants and red dwarfs can have 3. Orange and yellow stars can have up to 4.

BTW, why show inactive Artifical Planet project at all?

I should probably use the inactive project to show a little tooltip that says exactly what I just said here :)

vinco

Postby vinco » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:25 am

sven wrote:
I should probably use the inactive project to show a little tooltip that says exactly what I just said here :)

Not the worst idea to do something similar for terraforming.

bjg

Postby bjg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:03 am

Why the "Artifical Planet" project doesn't include colonization of the newly created planet? Don't they build it to live there?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:24 am

bjg wrote:Why the "Artifical Planet" project doesn't include colonization of the newly created planet? Don't they build it to live there?

That's really not a bad point. I can't think of anything you'd do with an artificial world other than colonize it, so forcing you to build an artificial world, then queue up a colony base project to make use of it, is pretty much just needless late-game micro.

bjg

Postby bjg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:52 pm

I don't think it's a good idea to call all Artifical Planets just "Artifical Planet". Creates all sorts of confusions.

bjg

Postby bjg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:19 pm

sven wrote:I should probably use the inactive project to show a little tooltip that says exactly what I just said here :)

The tooltip you've made is nice, but it's saying "... no available planet construction sites ..." for both active and inactive projects.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:20 pm

bjg wrote:
sven wrote:I should probably use the inactive project to show a little tooltip that says exactly what I just said here :)

The tooltip you've made is nice, but it's saying "... no available planet construction sites ..." for both active and inactive projects.

The tooltip info appears to be correct in the tests I've done, would you upload a game and point me to a star system where the tooltip is buggy?

Many thanks.

bjg

Postby bjg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:30 pm

game_2008

Grefia 8916 IV - project is inactive:
SiS Grefia 8916 IV AP.PNG
SiS Grefia 8916 IV AP.PNG (59.11 KiB) Viewed 16447 times

Leszek 6423 II - project is active:
SiS Leszek 6423 II AP.PNG
SiS Leszek 6423 II AP.PNG (70.87 KiB) Viewed 16447 times

As you can see, the tooltip is pretty much the same in both cases.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:17 pm

bjg wrote:game_2008
As you can see, the tooltip is pretty much the same in both cases.

Hmm. I'm unable to load this save on my own machine (the 500 star maps give my own machine trouble). But I do see that it dates from an older version of the build. There's a chance the glitch is due to issues that were fixed sometime after the Artificial planet feature rolled out.

If any sees similar behavior on a smaller map, and/or with a save started after r19440, please let me know.

bjg

Postby bjg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:38 am

sven wrote:I'm unable to load this save on my own machine (the 500 star maps give my own machine trouble). But I do see that it dates from an older version of the build. There's a chance the glitch is due to issues that were fixed sometime after the Artificial planet feature rolled out.

The game was updated (to r19440) right before sending the save (and making screenshots).
As you've said yourself my computer is on the lower edge of officially supported hardware, and yet it plays my saves just fine. Yours mast be more powerful. Do you have all the debugging on (and that requires more memory)?
You can dismiss my bug report due to a formality (I don't care much about this particular one), but the bug is there.

Update: a hint - it seems like the tooltip logic coutns Gas Giants as planets (thankfully unlike the project logic ;)).

Return to “Testing”