Two unimplemented or semi-implemented techs I've noted

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
nweismuller

Two unimplemented or semi-implemented techs I've noted

Postby nweismuller » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:26 am

Human Power Armor appears to still be unimplemented; Yoral flak cannons don't appear to be 'special' yet as they're intended to be. Just want to make sure they're not overlooked.

Arioch

Re: Two unimplemented or semi-implemented techs I've noted

Postby Arioch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:31 am

Haven't forgotten about them, thanks for mentioning it.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:29 am

Haven't seen the Flak Cannon available for other races then the Yoral + it did seem to be a bit underpowered when I was trying it out.
Replaced it with good old coil guns after a short while: should they have some kind of a bonus for taking down figthers, rockets and torpedoes?

Regarding Power Armour: Awesome concept but only saw the art for it so far on the website.
What I did notice is that if a planetary invasion is intiated with a colony ship in the system, the colonists are considered ground troops - this was the only case besides Marauders where ground troops seemed to be utilized but not sure if it was inteded.

The combat value of the "colonists" also seemed odd, I think it was the default: 1 shield
Does the ground combat defense and offensive values need fine-tuning? Maybe display both and have us see some difference between the various races and troop types like: tank (good attach, bad defence), Raiders (same as tank, just less offence), ground units (low offennce, good defence); Power Armour of caourse should have great defense as well as offense :)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:47 am

The human assault marines and some changes related to assault shuttles will probably be done today. Basically, assault shuttles will allow you to use ground troops in ship to ship actions, but at a penalty. The human assault marines will not have a penalty.

All colonists (unless they're discontent or otherwise incapable) can fight as militia. Dedicated ground units (tanks) get a strength bonus over militia in most circumstances (the notably exception being aboard ship, where their vehicles are of no benefit). Raider units get a bonus during raids, but otherwise fight the same as militia.

Flak cannons will probably be removed. We intend to do a template weapon thing with them, but we probably won't get to that until later.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:51 am

Speaking of unimplemented stuff, I assume that art for markets, mines, and farms will show up sooner or later? I absolutely love the existing factory, lab, and planetary defense art, so I'll confess I've been waiting to see what's done for the other improvements for a while, despite its relatively minor importance compared to all the other beta stuff.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:13 am

nweismuller wrote:I assume that art for markets, mines, and farms will show up

Been expecting those with each update as well :)
Have to admin though that the colour coded unique icons do have a certain charm to them... suggest sneaking the colours somehow into the final art, using it for the borders, or using the small icons as a marker in one of the corners

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:30 am

zolobolo wrote:The combat value of the "colonists" also seemed odd, I think it was the default: 1 shield
Does the ground combat defense and offensive values need fine-tuning? Maybe display both and have us see some difference between the various races and troop types like: tank (good attach, bad defence), Raiders (same as tank, just less offence), ground units (low offennce, good defence); Power Armour of caourse should have great defense as well as offense :)

My understanding of the design is that what you're calling 'ground troops' is meant to be representative of mass force levies, militia, and insurgents drawn from the civil population of a colony under attack. Tanks/hovertanks/battle mechs are a gloss for everything involved needed in a dedicated professional military force- it's probably safe to assume that there's actually combined arms doctrine involved.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:03 pm

nweismuller wrote:My understanding of the design is that what you're calling 'ground troops' is meant to be representative of mass force levies, militia, and insurgents drawn from the civil population of a colony under attack. Tanks/hovertanks/battle mechs are a gloss for everything involved needed in a dedicated professional military force- it's probably safe to assume that there's actually combined arms doctrine involved.

That would make sense but colonistst are probably not the best material for planetary invasion force even if it is levied. It is just not something that a player would expect to happen - I have oly noticed it accidentaly

That is not to say that I do not want the game to have ground troops, quite the opposite. It is this behaviour and a screenshot from steam that makes me hope to have race specific battalions during planetary invasions. As this aspect is strongly negected by allmost all 4X I was waiting for every to have something interesting here.

As it stands, the game has a kind-a small card game during invasion which runs on its own. Even if this does not change there are a lot of fanc stuff that can be done with it such as race speicifc troop types with warrying combat values or even perks for each unit that change their behaviour during combat. Raiders for exampe might have a low combat value but much less probabilty to die during combat so that they can harass the population even they they do not have a change to conquer or outright beat them

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:06 pm

BTW: are the power armored troops a race speciifc perk of humans?

I was wonedring what their race specific advantage is, as the only thing I saw: that they do not start with a colony is more of a disadvantage then anything else. This is of course if the DEVs do not plan to make them space migrants who never actually settle a planet, just create temporary colonies to syphon out resources :)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:17 pm

zolobolo wrote:BTW: are the power armored troops a race speciifc perk of humans?

I was wonedring what their race specific advantage is, as the only thing I saw: that they do not start with a colony is more of a disadvantage then anything else. This is of course if the DEVs do not plan to make them space migrants who never actually settle a planet, just create temporary colonies to syphon out resources :)

Yes. Humans have a bonus to boarding actions, a special assault marine unit, and bonuses to converting captured ships for use.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Arioch wrote:Yes. Humans have a bonus to boarding actions, a special assault marine unit, and bonuses to converting captured ships for use.

Then I suggest that these are reflected in texts. Like in the race selection screen where other races display their bonus to production or other

Also checked the Assault Marine enabling tech called "Powered Armor"
Its description states that they are effective at ship-to-ship combat
Effect states: Unlocks Assault Marines ground combat unit

One of the above texts needs adjustment as I see it unless there is a mechanic I haven't seen yet, where ground combat units can be used for ship-to-ship combat. Difficult to image.

Art is also missing for the tech.
I actually hope that they will end up as ground combat unit and humans get a flat bonus for boarding instead of a new unit we will never see in "action", as in ship combat we only see a text saying the weapons name
The same art could be used for the Human Boarding Module, just smaller and combined with the standard boarding icon, thus it would be visible right away that this is not the standard boarding module, but one transporting Assault Marines

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:57 pm

We'll make a final pass to bring the descriptions up to date. As you can probably imagine, it's not a good idea to list perks that don't yet exist.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 am

Arioch wrote:We'll make a final pass to bring the descriptions up to date. As you can probably imagine, it's not a good idea to list perks that don't yet exist.

Fair enough, excited so see what you cook up in the end :)

Also noticed there haven't been any mentioning on ship modules that produce resources such as the existing science station
Wasn't the idea behind this concept to have modules for food produciton and mineral resources? When I saw the humans, I translated:
Spacefaring Refugees: They have a ship module which is producing food
Scavengers: They have a ship module which produces minerals (by scavenging in their free time)

As it stand, I have not seen any direct mentioning on the above though and only the single building giving research - these things have also not bee mentioned on the list of human specific perks
Wasn't this inteded? It would be a shame if not as the concept is pretty nifty, I don't think I saw this anywhere else before

TheDeadlyShoe

Postby TheDeadlyShoe » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:09 pm

on this topic, there are some techs that give a bonus to 'infantry' - i assume that means colonists, marines, and raiders. It might be more clear to reword it specifically as providing a bonus to militia, marines, and raiders.

also unclear is how ground strength equates to boarding strength

Return to “Testing”