How to get rid of native populations?

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Possibility454

How to get rid of native populations?

Postby Possibility454 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:25 am

I have a planet with a bunch of worthless Lummox, how do I eradicate them? The only way i can think of is to load them onto transports and send them to the enemy.

Arioch

Re: How to get rid of native populations?

Postby Arioch » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:19 am

We don't have a "genocide" button, for what I'm hoping are obvious reasons. Depending on your own faction traits, native populations may be a boon or a minor inconvenience.

Possibility454

Postby Possibility454 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:47 pm

All the ones i have seen so far are quite a bit worse then your standard population, so I am not seeing the point of having them on my planets. They arent adding much 'fun' to the game, but rather are an 'inconvience' that I want to get rid of. And when I cant find a way to get rid of them, or stop them from reproducing I get annoyed. It seems that when I find a choice planet with a large population capacity, its saddled with a crappy native population that then expands to fill up half of that choice planet. They either need to be rebalanced to make them more enjoyable to keep around. When I find a native population i should get excited, not annoyed. If you want to include bad worthless natives, then let me wipe them out and suffer a diplomatic penalty for genocide.

Thanks

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:25 pm

With mobile populations get as many into transports as possible. Fractional population of less then 200 k will disappear, so time it so your fraction will be off the world you want to clear. Ship them to a world with a very low growth capacity (inferno works well for this). Remove your preferred race off the world. Keep filling the world until it goes to revolt. Bomb it clean, and recolonize it. With immobile population, fill the world with as many of your preferred race as possible as fast as possible. DO NOT build colony ships or colony bases from that world. This is especially important with scavengers or muscids, since these 2 races breed VERY fast. Another thing to look at before you do this is some *marginal* natives have some interesting quirks. Lummox produce alot of extra food (1 unit per native on the correct world type). The hostile world natives don't require any and greatly boost max population to worlds of the type they prefer. Even though they produce less, in many cases their special abilities can be utilized to maximize their usefulness.

wminsing

Postby wminsing » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:27 am

The primary reason for minor races are to fully exploit the different climate zones of your colony planets. Even if they are less effective then your own native species, they are going to able to populate areas your own race really can't, and your colonies will be more useful overall. I think they are an awesome addition.

-Will

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:10 am

Possibility454 wrote:All the ones i have seen so far are quite a bit worse then your standard population, so I am not seeing the point of having them on my planets. They arent adding much 'fun' to the game, but rather are an 'inconvience' that I want to get rid of. And when I cant find a way to get rid of them, or stop them from reproducing I get annoyed. It seems that when I find a choice planet with a large population capacity, its saddled with a crappy native population that then expands to fill up half of that choice planet. They either need to be rebalanced to make them more enjoyable to keep around. When I find a native population i should get excited, not annoyed. If you want to include bad worthless natives, then let me wipe them out and suffer a diplomatic penalty for genocide.

Have seen both types of natives in the meantime and there are already very useful (tinkers) as well as very annoying ones (blubs I think they are called)
Both make sense from a game mechanic point of view:
1. One allows the player to optimize efficiency of planets by placing for example high food production races to low fertility planets (so no transport capacity is lost transporting food to these)
2. The other makes colonizing high-value worlds more difficult. It usually needs preparation from the player, as going straight to these planets does not bring much and makes planets almost useless later. So the player should have sufficient spare population and available transports to fill up the planet right away. They also cannot be moved via transports, so no workaround exists for them which makes sense for what they are intended for.

I would also prefer a genocide option nonetheless for two reasons:
1. The enemy AI can also colonize these planets and might end up letting these pesky races populate everything
2. It just doesn't feel fun if a planet becomes useless this way

An overall strong diplomatic penalty is ok, and maybe direct riots (we won1t go silently into the night :)) from the affected pop, so you also need troops in place

As for the variety of races, I think every single race needs to have a:
1. Unique combination of production values when considering the 4 main values
2. Unique perk (e.g.: Slavers (found for the Gremak), Individualists (moral penalty, the more foreign races are present)...etc)
3. Varying combat value for ground and boarding troops (such as the Orthin being more efficient soldiers then others)

If the above are given, mixing these on planets should be a blast, a whole mini-game in its own right.
I already have a ton of fun spreading a squid like race on my less production oriented planets as they give a ton of food, and I do not need to build farms on more valuable planets. Those are reserved for mineral production if they are mineral rich, and ship production. The later get a whole bunch of tinkers population and we already have an empire of 3 races working like a well oiled machine :)

I still haven't seen a minor race with high research like 4 but 0 for everything else
A race with a slightly worse then average values overall would also be fine but with the perk: Disconnected: meaning they are not affected by any sort of moral penalty.

There are so many possibilities, and I think this system is much more robust and fun then that of Stellaris

PS: Image a race with the perk: "carnivores". This perk would create a synergy with other races on the planet. If there are sufficient number of other races, the carnivores are growing faster while the other race decreases proportionally. They would thus be a great way to expand rapidly on the cost of native pops and some moral penalty. They would also pose as a joker card for crappy races which cannot be removed fro valuable planets, as they would simply eat them all up over time :)

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Are you sure you mean 'individualist' for that thing you proposed? That sounds more like 'xenophobe' or 'reclusive' to me (and the spreadsheet of species provided a while back suggests that Orthin might eventually get something like that). As far as a high-research minor race, I will point out the Pell, who don't need to eat and research as well as Orthin, at the cost of not actually doing anything else.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Yes, I was thinking on the term from a social philosophical side where individualism leads to tension between the various social layers and thus: - negative impact on moral

"xenophobe" does sound more straight forward

Regarding the Pell: Yes I have seen them, but they merely give the same research as the Orthin do. Even if they do not consume any food, that still only translates to 0.5 food benefit per pop unit. Thus if compared to an average species Pell mean: +0.5 research; - 2 Production; - 0.5 Wealth; 0 Food
This is a bad deal in this setup - a player would get something like this when using slaves but they can at least be used to push research or production. If the player has access to Orthin pop, they are useless.

I was thinking more along the lines of research value somewhere between 2-3. Now that would really get things rolling and would be worth even the sacrifice of 2 production and 0.5 wealth. If they do not consume any food themselves, then 2 seems appropriate, but there is then still place for a minor race with +2.5 or even +3 Research :)

Again: The goal should be to make each race valuable for some kind of strategy. If any of the "useful" races (even if they are mayor races) can be replaced with another which is flat out better, that race then really feels like a filler. There are 4 basic production values + military combat strength + moral affinity + perks. These provide more then enough distinct combinations for 40 or so races
Last edited by zolobolo on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Possibility454

Postby Possibility454 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:53 pm

One interesting idea a minor race could do would be to provide a moral/happiness boost to worlds they are on like a market does, so you could move 1 pop of them to all your planets to get the benefit.

Will - do you mean that a planet can hold more pop then its size number indicates? I have seen that planets have different climate zones but as far as i could tell those didn't do anything other provide some fun info, like the number of days of its orbit. If these climate zones can be used when you mix and match different races on a planet does the planet max pop limit increase? If so, how is the player made aware of this feature?

Return to “Testing”