Pirates and deep space encounters

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Chasm

Pirates and deep space encounters

Postby Chasm » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:07 am

I am finding the gremak pirate upgrade to be very well done. It turned them from a nuisance to be obliterated to a resource (albeit one needing to be used carefully). In comparison Star harpies and human pirates are somewhat lacking. Perhaps human pirates should have an outpost in the system they start in (for ship repairs between battles) and gain periodic reinforcements? And perhaps Star Harpies could get a nest that allows them to heal as well, and provides them with a reinforcement source? And both of these might spread out if they gain enough reinforcements? Until such a time as the outpost/nest is destroyed?

SirDamnALot

Re: Pirates and deep space encounters

Postby SirDamnALot » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:20 pm

I wouldn't mind if the pirates would be more active:
- Visiting an colony and demand money (or they bomb you)
- hit an run attacks where they try to capture ships from you (assault shuttles, docking collar, fast engines) and then retreat with them.
- generally I would expect that the pirates would retreat if they encounter a superior force.
They do not fight for king or country but for opportunistic self interest, so no need for heroic sacrifices.

Maybe take a note from Civ barbarians : spawn occasionally some pirate fleets out of the blue to keep players busy and not get too complacent :mrgreen:

Bonus for the human player faction: the human pirates go easier on you, but are not necessarily friendly.

zolobolo

Re: Pirates and deep space encounters

Postby zolobolo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:56 am

Agree. As mentioned on another thread, I would suggest Pirates to conduct raiding activity within empire territories. This would destroy a couple of transports each turn and give them more resources to spam new ships. If a counter attack is conducted they should try to use boarding tactics to win more ships to their fleet

Naturally they can also demand money for staying away from an empire, but that should again increase their budget to buy more ships or even a new fleet

Return to “Testing”