Point Defense VS Anti Missiles

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
SirDamnALot

Point Defense VS Anti Missiles

Postby SirDamnALot » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:22 am

So, what do you prefer? What is in your opinion the better defense?
I assume both systems have the same defense capabilities (engaging missiles, small crafts, torpedos, auto firing, etc)

Mostly I use point defense weapons, because they are in a pinch also useable as an weapon.

BTW, why do anti missiles have damage values? Do the intercept targets have hitpoints?

Chasm

Re: Point Defense VS Anti Missiles

Postby Chasm » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:00 am

Anti missiles can be used against capital ships as well as fighters/missiles.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Chasm wrote:Anti missiles can be used against capital ships as well as fighters/missiles.

Well I learn something new every day :D Thanks!

So it's mostly a question of close range but cheap VS long range but eats munitions?

TheDeadlyShoe

Postby TheDeadlyShoe » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:52 pm

I have tested antimissiles a couple times recently but they seem far worse in practice than they are on paper. I am not sure what's wrong with them. They do less damage than i expected against ships and arn't particularly capable against missiles.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:09 pm

Currently, anti-missiles have longer range than point-defense beams, but they have limited ammunition, which currently limits their usefulness.

We will try to find a proper niche for them as part of the tactical balance revamp.

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:57 am

Some thoughts for antimissiles. Since they are a missile type , shouldn't they ALWAYS hit (ac mod should not be needed). Since they are missiles they SHOULD be vulnerable to point defense fire. Since they have such a short range perhaps their munitions use should be reduced (1 per 4 instead of 1 per 2).

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:40 pm

On second look, antimissile damage should probably just be doubled, and keep ammo usage the same. That makes it the least efficient (still) missile type, but gives it the same multirole value other point defense systems have. As it sits now, in comparison to point defense coil guns, they are minimally more effective rangewise in exchange for an extreme ammunition cost and less damage (Nuclear anti missiles do 2 currently, PD coilgun is 2-4). The damage value will also come into play with the upcoming small craft revamp. Also, possibly unlock the light (pd) slot for them, since they are a point defense type. They should not be mountable in heavy slots though, since no other pd can be put there.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:25 pm

at what range do anti-missiles fire automatically? Or don't they fire themself at small targets? What is it they should be doing?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:53 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:at what range do anti-missiles fire automatically? Or don't they fire themself at small targets? What is it they should be doing?

As I was debugging the animations, I adjusted these numbers, so, the answer to this question has changed a few times in the last 72 hours. But, right now, anti-missiles do always autofire at small targets (exactly like PD weapons), and have a significantly longer 'trigger' range (10 tiles rather than 5).

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:53 pm

Anti Missiles now intercept targets again.

A point about beam defense vs missile defense: while the damage of anti missiles is weak, they have the bonus of always hitting like missiles and they reach their target immeaditly, regardles of range (which is considerable).

At least I assume missiles always hit. The Nuclear Anti Missiles have the accurate option, wich seems redundant?

Return to “Testing”