Looking at science leaders

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Chasm

Looking at science leaders

Postby Chasm » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:38 am

3 science leaders of the races seem to be questionable.
The yoral +10 seems odd, considering they are more of a builder race.
The gremak + 0 seems odd, their science leader contributes nothing?
The ashdar imperial leader has no specialty?
Also, perhaps allowing a player to choose their faction science leaders specialty on startup, rather then having it be preset would spice things up a bit.

SmaugTheDragon

Re: Looking at science leaders

Postby SmaugTheDragon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:21 am

I am pretty sure that this is right now a placeholder for recruitable leader system.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:30 pm

SmaugTheDragon wrote:I am pretty sure that this is right now a placeholder for recruitable leader system.

Has there been any indication that this game will have a leader system?
It would be interesting to have leader characters from the comic the art and universe is based upon (The art is sort of available and there is already backstory for them that can be translated into the game mechanic)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:44 pm

I think there's room to tweak the science leader abilities (which are essentially faction abilities since there's no choice of leaders) to get more setting flavor out of them, and to adjust faction balance where necessary, but at present I don't think they're terrible. They're deliberately asymmetrical; not all factions need to be as good at science as all the others.

We wanted to have a fuller leader/character system (and created the initial set of Ashdar character portraits with this in mind), but we won't have time to implement it for the initial release. I really like leader systems, and so this is one of my highest priorities for post-release content, along with new playable factions.

zolobolo wrote:It would be interesting to have leader characters from the comic the art and universe is based upon (The art is sort of available and there is already backstory for them that can be translated into the game mechanic)

If you're referring to Outsider, the SIS universe is not based on that. It would be cute to have an Outsider mod or DLC for SIS, but that's something to consider for the future...

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Sounds awesome, and hope you will be able to implement it - you already have a solid game though
Looking forward to anything else you guys have cooked up, more races would surely make the larger galaxies more exiting

The thing I really love in your work (besides the tactical combat and art of course), is the pop system. I have never felt so encouraged to mix up populations + the slave mechanic is really coming together.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Selecting science advisors at the start of the game would be a great tool to somewhat customize your race, or at least playstyle.
Depending on available bonuses, you could further power your race's strengths or cushion weaknesses.

The random leaders of MoO2 where a mixed bag for me (but I loved the megawealth leaders that paid me to employ them :lol: ).

Ashbery76

Postby Ashbery76 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:28 pm

Why not have a randomised bonus each game.A little dull having these leaders who just give the same thing each game.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:24 pm

The science bonuses are part of the faction's advantages and disadvantages. The fact that they appear to be assigned to a character is purely cosmetic.

Having multiple characters to choose from would be awesome, but we won't have the time to implement a character system before the initial release.

Ashbery76

Postby Ashbery76 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:29 pm

Why they have this advantage is not mentioned in the lore.

Return to “Testing”