Questions about small craft

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Chasm

Questions about small craft

Postby Chasm » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Would Small craft get equipped with shields when your empire develops the tech? They are micro starships after all (about 1/10 the size of a destroyer if I read the scale correctly). After all, eventually even your ground forces get shields...
Would their armor improve as your armor technology does? The same for weaponry.
Missiles seem to take little to no damage from explosions, would fighters be able to benefit from this effect as well?

Arioch

Re: Questions about small craft

Postby Arioch » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:18 pm

Fighters are in a sorry state at the moment, and are due for an overhaul, so let me talk about how I think they should work, rather than how they currently do.

Small craft scale in weapons and hit points according to technology. All factions will have access to the four basic fighter types, unlocked by the various techs:
Interceptor: armed with best beam weapon
Bomber: armed with best missile
Strike Fighter: armed with both beam weapon and missile
Starfighters: a squadron of Strike Fighters that can move as an independent fleet unit

(I'd like for the Ashdar Colonials to have an extra fighter type, but we haven't worked out exactly how that might function.)

Chasm wrote:Would Small craft get equipped with shields when your empire develops the tech? They are micro starships after all (about 1/10 the size of a destroyer if I read the scale correctly). After all, eventually even your ground forces get shields...

I think it makes sense that small craft should get some kind of benefit from late-game shield technology. I've made a note of it.

Chasm wrote:Missiles seem to take little to no damage from explosions, would fighters be able to benefit from this effect as well?

I'm not sure how this works internally at the moment, but the effect should probably be the same for both.

SmaugTheDragon

Postby SmaugTheDragon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Wow, the fighters look really good. I especially adore the Orthin Interceptor, like wow.

zakblood

Postby zakblood » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:44 pm

more is always better, on almost every subject in any game :ugeek:

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:55 pm

Perhaps undeployed interceptors could intercept incoming missiles / fighters if they would normally be available to launch? Ie hold fighters in reserve and they can screen you from incoming hostile fighters / missiles?

echo2361

Postby echo2361 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:14 pm

Nice looking small craft! Looking forward to seeing those in the game. I also like the concept of independent star fighter squadrons that can travel on their own for raiding and quick strikes on unsuspecting targets.

As far as small craft roles go I think each should have their strengths and weaknesses.

Interceptors should be strong vs other small craft but get shredded by point defense due to little armor/shields.

Bombers should be able to handle some point defense fire and be a threat to capital ships but slow and easy for interceptors to kill.

Heavy fighters should be a mix of both roles but master of neither. For the indecisive commander unsure of what threats he'll face. Can kill fighters and capital ships but not as efficiently as interceptors or bombers respectively.

I would imagine starfighters would be heavy fighters with FTL capabilities.

What are everyone's thoughts on small craft roles?

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:15 am

"Bombers should be able to handle some point defense fire and be a threat to capital ships but slow and easy for interceptors to kill."

Agree, they should be deadly to large ships due to their evade chance against large guns, and amour against point defense, while delivering a huge punch via their torpedo barrage. They could also have a higher chance to take out subsystems via their runs.
They would be a poor man's/efficient anti-capital ship/station weapon, if the player cannot field large or strong enough ships to counter. They would also be very fun though due to the lots of references :) (bombers blowing up the death star maybe...)

The only efficient way to counter them should be to use fighters, making these vessels also a solid part of any well rounded fleet

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Agree, rock paper scissors for small craft would be an interesting changeup.

Return to “Testing”