Things learned

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
bcasner

Things learned

Postby bcasner » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:46 am

2 5 15

Learned that when fighting large groups of enemies the easiest way to win is to maneuver one of my ships as close to the middle of the pack of enemies as I can and self destruct. I've taken down up to 8 at a time that way.

Next time I play from scratch I'm going to leave at least one warship on guard duty on each of my star systems.
Capturing ships is definitely a good thing to start doing.

I'm starting to think the AI cheats. When I encounter enemy fleets they have many more ships initially than I expected.

--Problems encountered today
Had difficulty turning ships while in battles.
Sometimes as my amount of colonies grew there would be a noticeable lag when I pressed next turn.
Sometimes during play if I moved the mouse too fast the screen would freeze up. Whenever that happened I just waited and usually within a minute or two it would come back.
I did a ship reset to try different weapons on an old design, after completing that *presto* next turn I had one show up at that starbase. Without building it.

sven
Site Admin

Re: Things learned

Postby sven » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:55 am

Ok -- this is all good feedback, and even when I don't have time to respond item by item -- I am reading attentively :)

bcasner wrote:I did a ship reset to try different weapons on an old design, after completing that *presto* next turn I had one show up at that starbase. Without building it.

Now -- this is very odd. If you still have some saves from this game, would you try "winding back time" via the '<--' button, and see if you can find the moment when this occurred?

If you can find that moment, please go to the options pane, and hit "upload save". Then I'll try to see what I can make of it.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:58 am

My first thought reading this is it sounds like a ship refit? That takes one turn everywhere I tried it. Particularly when mentioned in conjunction with 'at that starbase'.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:36 am

Yeah, sounds like he did a ship refit.

It would nice to add an "Edit Design" item to the production menu (in addition to the "New Design" item), which performs the same function as the Ship Designer command in the game menu, and then selects that edited design for production. I find it's much more straightforward to update the existing class rather than to create new ones every time I research a new component, and it's inconvenient to have to exit all the way out to the game menu to get into the Ship Designer, then go all the way back into the production menu.

(Shift-clicking on an item in the production menu performs this function, but there's no way for anyone to know that.)

bcasner

Postby bcasner » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 pm

2/11/15

In today's play I noted that trying to get my ships to turn around in combat is difficult.

Also had the enemy pull one of my tricks on me. It moved one of its ships close to a group of mine and when it blew it took me out too!

Return to “Testing”