New zoom feature works well

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Chasm

New zoom feature works well

Postby Chasm » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:39 am

Very happy with it, no issues so far.

bjg

Re: New zoom feature works well

Postby bjg » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:32 pm

Are you talking about the tactical (in battle) zoom?
Thought the strategic zoom is introduced, but it's not in the changelog thread. :roll:

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:39 pm

bjg wrote:Are you talking about the tactical (in battle) zoom?
Thought the strategic zoom is introduced, but it's not in the changelog thread. :roll:

Are you sure you are on the DEV update path ? Just tried it out, galaxy map + mouse wheel = zoom :)

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:49 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:
bjg wrote:Are you talking about the tactical (in battle) zoom?

Are you sure you are on the DEV update path ? Just tried it out, galaxy map + mouse wheel = zoom :)

I still have a fair amount to do in terms of icon positioning, etc, at different scales. But it's good to know it's more or less working for people ;)

bjg

Postby bjg » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:50 pm

I'm not. The viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35 use to show both "stable" and "dev". It's not any more, which got me confused.
So the strategic zoom is coming. :!:

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:23 pm

Sorry for the confusion, I should have mentioned that I run the dev version. (you can too, just toggle it on or off at the bottom of the loader. Dev version can be a bit unstable at times tho). Figured that feedback would be useful.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:05 pm

bjg wrote:I'm not. The viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35 use to show both "stable" and "dev". It's not any more, which got me confused.

Well, I edit the post by-hand to reflect changes in both 'dev' and 'stable'. But the public patch notes for 'dev' aren't always 100% up-to-date. Um, as just happened in this case ;)

SilasOfBorg

Postby SilasOfBorg » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 am

Played half a game in stable, really enjoying the zoom, seems problem-free - I don't remember seeing any obvious graphical niggles or having problems with selection etc.

I'd still like to see "large fleet" indicators of some kind on the galaxy map - any plans on adding those? Or maybe you did and I just didn't build big enough fleets? :)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:48 pm

SilasOfBorg wrote:I'd still like to see "large fleet" indicators of some kind on the galaxy map - any plans on adding those? Or maybe you did and I just didn't build big enough fleets? :)

Are you referring specifically to the zoomed-out icons, or fleet icons at all zooms?

At zoomed-out level when we're using abstracted icons, we could display a different icon when the fleet is larger than a certain size.

At normal and zoomed-in levels, this becomes more problematic in terms of making the icons fit. In this case what we could do is add "pips" next to the ship icon to indicate increasing fleet size.

Ashbery76

Postby Ashbery76 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:50 pm

The zoom scales ships to icons a bit too early imo.

SilasOfBorg

Postby SilasOfBorg » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Arioch wrote:
SilasOfBorg wrote:I'd still like to see "large fleet" indicators of some kind on the galaxy map - any plans on adding those? Or maybe you did and I just didn't build big enough fleets? :)

Are you referring specifically to the zoomed-out icons, or fleet icons at all zooms?

At zoomed-out level when we're using abstracted icons, we could display a different icon when the fleet is larger than a certain size.

At normal and zoomed-in levels, this becomes more problematic in terms of making the icons fit. In this case what we could do is add "pips" next to the ship icon to indicate increasing fleet size.

All zoom levels. I just want to be able to easily differentiate between a few ships, several ships, and a giant fleet on the main map view. Whether this is done by # of ships, fleet tonnage, or whatnot would work equally well.

Time to go look at the change logs, have been out of town for a week and am excited to see what's new.

Return to “Testing”