Leaving system causes auto-resolve?

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
wminsing

Leaving system causes auto-resolve?

Postby wminsing » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:45 am

So one thing I just noticed at the start of my last play through is that when I leave a system where combat is taking place is appears to force some sort of auto-resolve mechanism. Is this actually the case?

-Will

sven
Site Admin

Re: Leaving system causes auto-resolve?

Postby sven » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:28 am

wminsing wrote:So one thing I just noticed at the start of my last play through is that when I leave a system where combat is taking place is appears to force some sort of auto-resolve mechanism. Is this actually the case?

It's not actually leaving the system that forces the auto resolve -- it's ending the turn without taking active control of a battle that your ships have no choice but to fight.

There's a lot of autoresolves happening in the current playthroughs that testers aren't noticing, or are misinterpreting as other kinds of actions. For example, ships are interpreted as successfully "escaping" when actually they've been winning autocombats that the UI just isn't doing a good job of drawing your attention to.

Doing a better job of explaining to players what's going on in these sorts of situations -- and, critically, warning them when their ships are about to be forced to autoresolve a battle, if the player does not control it for them, is one more part of the critical "report system" changes that we're working on right now.

wminsing

Re: Leaving system causes auto-resolve?

Postby wminsing » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:59 am

Aha, now I get it. Yes, something good to resolve when the 'important information' system gets revised.

-Will

Return to “Testing”