Suggest - Features and Improvements

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
zolobolo

Re: Suggest - Features and Improvements

Postby zolobolo » Sat May 19, 2018 7:44 am

Hover tanks and battlemechs can generally be researched till early-mid game (Turn 140) which is too early as there is no further development for ground units after that

Suggest to increase the reasearch time for both of these techs and/or make them dependant on a mid and late game tech

fonzosh

Postby fonzosh » Mon May 21, 2018 6:58 am

2 New modules for an outpost

Mining outpost
As it is now, the small planets have no value and rather "take up space" in the system. How about adding a researchable module "Mining Module" (maybe the tech could come directly after the first mine tech and demand that the Habitat module is researched) that allows the player to place an outpost around these small planets and generates ore as much as a fully developed mine. The outpost can only be placed around these small planets. This would make small planets rather valuable and allows a more varied use for the outpost (that I today hardly use, even with the new people module).

Laboratory module
As it is now, the gas giants have no value and rather "take up space" in the system. How about adding a researchable module "Laboratory Module" (maybe the tech could come directly after Xenology and demand that the Habitat module is researched) that allows the player to place an outpost around the gas giants and generates science as much as a fully developed lab. The outpost can only be placed around the gas giants. This would make gas gaints rather valuable and allows a more varied use for the outpost (that I today hardly use, even with the new people module).

harpy eagle

Postby harpy eagle » Tue May 22, 2018 5:56 pm

fonzosh wrote:2 New modules for an outpost

Laboratory module
As it is now, the gas giants have no value and rather "take up space" in the system. How about adding a researchable module "Laboratory Module" (maybe the tech could come directly after Xenology and demand that the Habitat module is researched) that allows the player to place an outpost around the gas giants and generates science as much as a fully developed lab. The outpost can only be placed around the gas giants. This would make gas gaints rather valuable and allows a more varied use for the outpost (that I today hardly use, even with the new people module).

This is already in the game :D

Just create an outpost design with a science module, the one you get from the Xenology tech. I usually name mine "Research Station"

Then you can build a "Research Station Transport" and deploy it anywhere you like.

I often do this in my games to boost research output.

fonzosh

Postby fonzosh » Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 pm

harpy eagle wrote:
fonzosh wrote:2 New modules for an outpost

Laboratory module

This is already in the game :D

Just create an outpost design with a science module, the one you get from the Xenology tech. I usually name mine "Research Station"

Then you can build a "Research Station Transport" and deploy it anywhere you like.

I often do this in my games to boost research output.

I know, although Im thinking of making the gas giants valuable. Otherwise I do as you mention above with several stripped destroyers. I make a fleet equpied with 2 science bases and nothing else that I park somewhere. Several of these cost almost nothing to produce and give a good science boost. What Im thinking of in the above suggestion is a special Gas Giant labaroatory module that actually gives a boost like a fully developed laboratory but can only be parked around a gas giant.

nathanebht

Postby nathanebht » Wed May 23, 2018 10:38 pm

zolobolo wrote:Hover tanks and battlemechs can generally be researched till early-mid game (Turn 140) which is too early as there is no further development for ground units after that

Suggest to increase the reasearch time for both of these techs and/or make them dependant on a mid and late game tech

Have the ground units utilize your current best beam weapon. Like your space fighters automatically upgrade.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 pm

We've had the idea to create a mining station or module for debris rings or asteroid belts (of which there are not currently enough in the game to be worthwhile), but I don't think it makes very much sense that a station in orbit could mine ore on the surface of a planet. That requires some infrastructure on the ground.

The plan for the next DLC is to include a revamped terraforming mechanic, and so that would present a good opportunity to revisit planetary specials and therefore orbital infrastructure options.

nathanebht wrote:
zolobolo wrote:Hover tanks and battlemechs can generally be researched till early-mid game (Turn 140) which is too early as there is no further development for ground units after that

Have the ground units utilize your current best beam weapon. Like your space fighters automatically upgrade.

There are already techs that automatically upgrade your ground units, so I feel that might be redundant. And realistically, most weapons optimized for use in space (like particle and plasma beams) would not be very useful in atmosphere on the ground.

fonzosh

Postby fonzosh » Fri May 25, 2018 7:43 am

Arioch wrote:We've had the idea to create a mining station or module for debris rings or asteroid belts (of which there are not currently enough in the game to be worthwhile), but I don't think it makes very much sense that a station in orbit could mine ore on the surface of a planet. That requires some infrastructure on the ground.

As allways, you are doing a great job. Why I suggested this is because I would like the orbital structures and "unused" planets to be a bit more valuable. As it is now, that planets are of no use at all and I really dont see the need of the orbital structures (except, perhaps, in end game, when you have som much population that sending them into space actually gives you some more production, but this far into the game you have already won).

It feels logical that as space faring races, you could build huge orbital installations that you can add stuff to as the game plays on, almost like the old "Civ: Call to Power" game where the orbital cities actually produced more then the cities on the planet. It would be a cool feature to allow orbital installtions to take another way with actually allowing you to add modules and build it without the constraints of only having a couple of hard Points, more or less like some Sim city game.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Fri May 25, 2018 8:46 am

I would gerneally advise against additional orbital infrastructure as:
1. The AI already does not utilize anything beyond fuel depots and other already existing options already serve as player exclusice advantages when utilized and if the AI is optimited I woudl prefer it to be done on making positioning smarter and more efficient instead of for new features
2. Managing various types of outposts is a micro MGMT intensive activity: building various types and sending them ot the correct systems, and deplyoing them indivudally
3. The already existing options of reasearch stations and habitats already give a miniscule advantage to not make the micro realy worth it - the focus of the game should rather fall onto the tactical combat and fleet positioning

That being said I agree that there are way to many planetss lying around just begging to be done something with.
Setting up manual mining operations, habitats, resarch bases is probably not the most elegant way of going abouth it: compare the current system with that of stellaris, where the cosntruction ships can be ordered to build extraction bases for all the planets within the system with 3 clicks - SiS mechanic is simply not fit for this (1. analysis which planets are availabel and what to build, 2. issue build orders, 3. wait for ships to finish (and remembe what for), 4. issue target system to each ship 5. issue deployement orders for each ship, 6: optional: embark pop to habitat :)) - Occasional range extending outposts for strategic purposes are fine but the player shoudl not feel that each planet is a dangling carrot that shoudl be farmed or loose out on benefits

So instead, lets reduce the number of planets in a system or have the benefit of some special planets apply automatically to other colonised planets within the system - this can be tied to research if that makes sense. e.g.: gas giants provide reasearch bonus to all colonised planets within the system but only if specific tech has been researched

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Sat May 26, 2018 12:07 am

Now that you're tinkering with diplomacy, I'd suggest that you provide some insight as to what you can expect from the different AI agendas once Alien Psychology is researched. What exactly 'Idealistic' or 'Pragmatic' mean can be a little obscure, but presumably your advisors can give you some analysis of rival motivations once Alien Psychology is developed.

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Thu May 31, 2018 4:57 am

When the Astdar Colonials offered to help fight the three forces about to kill me, I about stood up and cheered. I love this new feature. Thank you!

nathanebht

Postby nathanebht » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:49 am

zolobolo wrote:So instead, lets reduce the number of planets in a system or have the benefit of some special planets apply automatically to other colonised planets within the system - this can be tied to research if that makes sense. e.g.: gas giants provide reasearch bonus to all colonised planets within the system but only if specific tech has been researched

Good idea! If I wanted tedious micro I'd be playing Gal Civ 3.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Hiding fleet route lane on large maps where there is a lot of traffic is great and displaying the route of the fleet when selected is even better

Suggest to do the same for systmes: when a system is selected on the galaxy map, display the fleet routes that are heading directly there even when these are hidden to give a quick overview of the reinforcing/attacking fleets heading toward the selected system

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Something to consider (if not outright prevented by the main code): planetary improvements should not downgrade if the occupying empire does not yet have the higher tech necessary.

e.g.: advanced factory is downgraded if the occupying empire only has basic factory available

The reason for such a change is logical: it is intuitive to assume that the buildings would stay as they are (markets also remain even if the occupant does not have the tech as well as Tinker MAchine Altars remain as they are). But the main reason is this: there is some logic on giving the occupant a comparative advantage in taking enemy planets if they have lower tech then their enemies meaning: they would gain more in taking planets then their enemy which would gradually balance out their inherited lower production (and tech) if they are succesfull on the battlefield

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:22 pm

zolobolo wrote:Something to consider (if not outright prevented by the main code): planetary improvements should not downgrade if the occupying empire does not yet have the higher tech necessary.

More advanced equipment doesn't do you much good if you don't understand how to use it. The upgrades are free, implying that it's the process that has improved as much as the actual infrastructure.

From a game balance perspective, an empire that is capturing planets is obviously doing well; there's no need to give them additional benefits.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Suggest to significantly increase torpedo attack travelling animation speed: with many ships now involved in battles, torpedo heavy attacks take a very long time to play out - I think there is some deadspace delay before they actually get moving as well

Slightly increasing the amimation speed for all other weapons and travel times as well would also make sense (I am already using the option of faster combat animations, the recommendation is for this option). In my opinion: the faster animation option could reduce the waittime to the abosulte minimum while still alowing the player to keep their bearings on what is happening - all other time could be cut down for this option

Return to “Testing”