Suggest - Features and Improvements

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.

Moderator: luciderous

PrivateHudson

Re: Suggest - Features and Improvements

Postby PrivateHudson » Tue May 19, 2020 11:02 am

Please add hotkey to dismiss notification, it constitutes a large portion of mouseclicks total.

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Tue May 26, 2020 11:14 am

It would be convenient if diplomatic capital counter at the top of the screen doubled as indicator that new diplomatic options (treaties) have become available, either because of aliens' attitude changes or as a result of diplocapital accumulation. For example, a little looped animation where hands move towards each other for handshake. Popup help should in this case list something like "Research treaty with Phidi available \r\n Alliance with Yoral available \r\n Open ports treaty with Humans available". I routinely forget to forge treaties, sometimes by tens of turns.
By the way, don't you think that the trade treaty wording "Our ports are now open to your trade goods" causes a little confusion with Open ports treaty?

Dragar

Postby Dragar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:14 pm

I wonder if ships larger than heavy cruiser should require more infrastructure to build. If Battlecruisers etc. needed 3 or 4 construction modules instead of 2, you'd be much more limited on where you could build them. That might make fleets a bit more 'natural' looking (mostly heavy cruisers) until significant investment was made. It also makes defending key infrastructure locations more interesting.

But... I don't know how the AI would behave.

grothmag

Postby grothmag » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:58 pm

PrivateHudson wrote:Please add hotkey to dismiss notification, it constitutes a large portion of mouseclicks total.

A hotkey would be nice. I would also very much like the "x" for closing the active report/notification to be locked in place. Currently, the position of the "x" varies a little based on the length of the message title - further right with long planet names, for instance. This means, when going through many reports, one has to keep moving the cursor to "find" the "x", sometimes drifting into the right-arrow instead.

Basically, I'd just ask that the "x" be placed at a set position, rather than shifting based on message title length. But with a "dismiss" hotkey, this is probably unnecessary.

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:43 am

The new inter-faction relations panel in Intelligence is a bit confusing. Seems, it doesn't show any lines besides Alliance and War. I surmise, if I understand correctly, lines represent treaties, and hence player is allowed to see only those in which he can be sure from observing individual factional info. I think, it wouldn't be a big security breach to show all treaties between all known factions (including Marauders), along with their current mutual love/hate ratings. IMHO, this will heighten situational awareness, lower micromanagement of checking this info faction by faction, and allow players more visually enjoy watching your excellent diplomatic AI.

Serenitis

Postby Serenitis » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:41 am

Something to consider...

If the the AI cedes a colony to the player via diplomacy, the AI can and will ask the player to return that colony, and will incur a diplomatic penalty if refused.

Suggest that either of the following could be the case instead:
  • Ceded colonies can be asked to be returned as now, but refusing does not give a diplo penalty.
  • Ceded colonies are never asked to be returned, only colonies aquired by conquest or splinters can be requested.

The latter might possibly be better as it is not pushing the player through a potentially unnecessary interaction.
Although the former might be useful for the opportunity to improve relations with that AI.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:52 pm

PrivateHudson wrote:The new inter-faction relations panel in Intelligence is a bit confusing. Seems, it doesn't show any lines besides Alliance and War. I surmise, if I understand correctly, lines represent treaties, and hence player is allowed to see only those in which he can be sure from observing individual factional info. I think, it wouldn't be a big security breach to show all treaties between all known factions (including Marauders), along with their current mutual love/hate ratings. IMHO, this will heighten situational awareness, lower micromanagement of checking this info faction by faction, and allow players more visually enjoy watching your excellent diplomatic AI.

Yeah, the problem is, if I add too many more lines, the graph will just become a scrambled mess. Even just drawing one line between every pair of factions on an 8 faction board is 28 lines. And if you consider that there can be multiple different kinds of treaties and attitude states, it becomes a real information overload.

The correct solution, maybe, is to add different "modes" to the graph. So you can have like an "attitude" mode, and "treaties" mode, and a "war/peace" mode. Then, maybe, in the "attitude" and "treaties" modes, limit the displayed lines to just the lines connected to the currently selected faction, rather than trying to show everything at once.

Not sure when/if I'll find more time to experiment with this, but, I do agree with your basic point -- the "faction relations" pane is pretty unpolished as it stands. If nothing else, it probably needs to be renamed to something like "Wars and Alliances", just so it's more obvious what it's actually displaying.

Return to “Testing”