Suggest - Features and Improvements

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
bjg

Re: Suggest - Features and Improvements

Postby bjg » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:03 pm

It'd be nice if different designs based on the same hull could have a distinctive difference (perhaps in color). Not sure how to do it and still keep things pretty, but that would be very convenient.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:08 pm

bjg wrote:It'd be nice if different designs based on the same hull could have a distinctive difference (perhaps in color). Not sure how to do it and still keep things pretty, but that would be very convenient.

I definitely want to do that, we just have to figure out how.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:13 am

Arioch wrote:
bjg wrote:It'd be nice if different designs based on the same hull could have a distinctive difference (perhaps in color). Not sure how to do it and still keep things pretty, but that would be very convenient.

I definitely want to do that, we just have to figure out how.

Maybe give the option to apply decals (from a pre determined sticker sheet) to the hull ? Stuff like squadron insignia, numbers or general markings. (with selectable colors :) )
This way you can keep the original hull artworks and just need fitting (or general, skulls are always an option ;) ) sticker sheets.
Just one more layer in rendering the ships ;)

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:31 pm

As a possible buff for energy weapons change rapid fire lasers tech to rapid fire beams. Unlock rapid fire modification for all of the beam weapon types. This would allow beams to have a niche just like kinetics , missiles, and siege weapons.

bjg

Postby bjg » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Chasm wrote:As a possible buff for energy weapons change rapid fire lasers tech to rapid fire beams. Unlock rapid fire modification for all of the beam weapon types. This would allow beams to have a niche just like kinetics , missiles, and siege weapons.

Sven did explain a while ago why it's not technologically plausible (in his opinion). However, you should remember that Primary Beams where tripled in numbers per mount for a while, and that made them OP (to a point where AI used only PB for planetary defenses).

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Well, at this point the beam arm is basically worthless after turbolasers. Kinetics rule the day because of a better range allowing focused fire. And I am a bit curious why force lances get long range as a possible modifier. Isn't the long range modification baselined on a projectile (from superconductors), that force lances don't use (being beams of force and all).

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:24 am

nweismuller wrote:Current AI player decision-making does not appear to actively manage morale and increase of trade capacity, resulting in heavy protestor populations wherever they have non-native populations present. I suggest that there should be some weight put into AI in establishing at least one market per planet, especially if non-native populations are present; Gremak AI should also actively enslave protesting populations, which it does not currently seem to do (perhaps Gremak AI should skimp on markets relative to other AIs based on its ability to enslave).

On a semi-related note, regarding slavery- AI players appear to always go to war with Marauder enclaves, without regard for whether they can protect their neighboring colony populations- even as the Gremak. Gremak AI should probably be inclined to establish friendly relations with Marauder enclaves and purchase their 'products', setting up the situation as described in the lore where Marauder groups are pipelines of slaves to the Empire.

Addendum to idea: add two specific AI traits, tentatively called 'liberal' and 'repressive'. Liberal AIs are biased to deal with morale issues by construction of markets and research of Sociology to improve markets and reduce alien rulers penalties. Repressive AIs are biased to deal with morale issues by armed force, and, if possible, enslavement. By my instinct, I would make the Phidi Combine liberal and the Gremak Empire repressive, and would leave other factions as neutral on this scale, using both armies and markets to manage morale as possible.

jtrowell

Postby jtrowell » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:32 am

It's maybe the random generator that is playing with me, but settings all my games with Rare native races, I still find that most of the time I have around 2 native races relatively close to my home planet. I don't think that I played even one game where my starting scout didn't find at least one native race.

If this is "Rare", then maybe it would be nice to add additionnal options for even rarer natives ("Very rare" and "None" options maybe, so you can also disable them if you want ?)

bjg

Postby bjg » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:21 pm

jtrowell wrote:It's maybe the random generator that is playing with me, but settings all my games with Rare native races, I still find that most of the time I have around 2 native races relatively close to my home planet. I don't think that I played even one game where my starting scout didn't find at least one native race.

If this is "Rare", then maybe it would be nice to add additionnal options for even rarer natives ("Very rare" and "None" options maybe, so you can also disable them if you want ?)

Which have you met? Most of them are quite useful.

jtrowell

Postby jtrowell » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:10 pm

I found a lot : gaians, spice mongers, wren, the slime like ones, the yetis, the plants, the aquatics, and yes most of them can be rather useful, but they can also lessen the importance of having some race with a specific ecology, and sometimes I just want more variety.

Finding native race so often make them feel less special and reduce the variation in habitable planets for most races. Sure, you can also get a similar effect when you finally get population from another race, but this is usually later in game compared to the native races.

Ideally I would like a setting where I could maybe find one native race close to me something like 40-50% of the time, and maybe around 10-15% chance for a second one to be close, leaving around 35-50% chance of no native race close to me at all (one that I would find at the other side of the galaxy will of course not count here).

Currently it fells like 80% of one native race close to me and the leftover 20% of 2 or more races, and this is with the setting set to "Rare".

The current value is perfectly nice for some games, I just believe that we should benefit from having a larger range of options.

bjg

Postby bjg » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:13 pm

I was watching a play-through (not a very good one, but in my native language) and noticed Pell affected by "alien ruler" moral penalty. Is this intentional? Don't think smart plants care who is in charge.

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:17 pm

The Muscoids are as well, and they are unintelligent parasites...

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Planet destruction needs some love, recommend:
1. Enable destruction of planet in tactical battle and have some rubble floating around after it goes boom
2. Negative moral effect when a planet is destroyed. The value of the effect should be in line with the population of the planet
3. Show the same blow-up animation as above in the tactical battle in the planetary invasion window when the planet is destroyed
4. Adjust the battle report to contain the planet that has been destroyed and give it some special representation. These events should have gravity to them

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Make Ancient Stargates stand out from normal Stargate art wise - some signs and scribe, cracks and such would suffice to show its age an unique value

A couple of "Wonders" - unique buildings for the civs to compete for.
As there is already limited planet improvement space available, there only needs to be a couple of these to spice up the building queue and once built they are valuable strategic targets - is also a great way to spice up the tech-tree and use some more building art assets if available.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Center view on planet after conquered instead of jumping to the next event, as the player will likely set production on the new planet

Return to “Testing”