Suggest - Features and Improvements

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Arioch

Re: Suggest - Features and Improvements

Postby Arioch » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Well, reducing the habitability (and therefore max pop) of a planet also reduces the number of available building slots, so that sort of takes care of itself.

bjg

Postby bjg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Arioch wrote:Well, reducing the habitability (and therefore max pop) of a planet also reduces the number of available building slots, so that sort of takes care of itself.

Are you going to (randomly) destroy buildings if they exceed the (reduced) max pop? I believe the game currently doesn't do it (if you conquer someone more technologically advance for example).

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:11 pm

bjg wrote:
Arioch wrote:Well, reducing the habitability (and therefore max pop) of a planet also reduces the number of available building slots, so that sort of takes care of itself.

Are you going to (randomly) destroy buildings if they exceed the (reduced) max pop? I believe the game currently doesn't do it (if you conquer someone more technologically advance for example).

If necessary, but the bombardment that caused the fallout should take care of that on its own.

sparrow66

Postby sparrow66 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:34 am

Might just be me, but "Tinker Green" is way too similar to "Orthin Green", to the point where I can barely distinguish between their stars. Please make one lighter and one darker so they stand out better -

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:05 am

Agree with sparrow. Or point me to where the different side color palates are, and perhaps a mod for it could be easily done?

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:10 am

Ion cannons could do extra damage to shield to make both Laser and Ion weapons a viable option

Currently Laser is better for both Medium and Heavy mounts as it can utilize the RF module and thus provide higher damage output:
Heavy Ion: 5-24
Heavy Laser with RF: 10-30
This is strange because both Heavy Laser and RF module can be researched before Ion cannon, so it cannot be understood as lower tier energy weapon

Ion cannon: 12-36
Turbo Laser with RF: 24-112

If Ion cannons would be a good choice as a standalone weapon against heavily shielded targets, Laser weapons would still be a viable option as they would still output more damage overall when the shields are gone (perfect in combination with Leach missiles)

Now this might already be the case I just can't see it, but in that case only the weapon description needs to be updated

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:06 am

Building a fully fetched diplomacy mechanic is a huge task. To make the current system logical within existing mechanics suggest the following simple solution: Have Alliance cost Influence each Turn

The cost can be both:
1. Flat rate cost that would upset any influence income generated from the specif empire (due to research/trade treaties and embassy)
2. Dynamic depending on the relative population of AI to player population but with a minimum of the above

The logic behind this is the following:
1. The way to win (currently) is to control enough amount of population on the map either directly or indirectly via alliances
2. An AI can be bought into an Alliance with Influence but if it has a larger population then the player, will not vote for the player: This is already in game and is perfect! Now for the change:
3. An AI needs to be kept in Alliance with a steady cost of Influence. If the player cannot afford to keep the AI in the influence, it should automatically leave the alliance and receive a negative relationship bonus towards everyone in the alliance due to the breakup and to give war a big chance. Now if the cost is calculated dynamically, the AI with the largest cost (hence largest population) should always leave first making them perfect candidates for having war with :)

Additionally I suggest having the player always vote for themselves as they are the player playing to win. The decision on the council election screen should be if the player wants to "buy" alliance from anyone with Influence before the vote beings ;) This would provide a meaningful decision and a sort of minigame that the AI could also be tough to use with relative ease, and once it does it is already using alliances in game in a meaningful manner

Also: with each council vote the player could loose the game if other empires band together due to the mechanic which would give it quite a kick

EDIT: This system would also make it impossible to simply buy out all the AIs with Influence as for each alliance, several other factions are needed with whom the player is not allied with and generate influence from (That is why upkeep of even the cheapest ally needs to be higher then the influence generated from any other trading partner)

akkamaddi

Postby akkamaddi » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:15 pm

This is kind of a niche request, but it would be nice if there were some command line options. worked last weekend, and today I'm working on the races stuff and epic systems. It would be really nice, if for testing purposes, I could make a second game icon with some command lines:

Sis.exe -StartNewgame -StartRace=haduir -SpawnRaces=3 -SpawnStars=99 -SpawnRaces=Abundant -WriteSaveOnStart:001Testing

The last option would be to save the game as soon as it starts to the name "001Testing". (It would be particularly awesome if the save name could be set to the datestamp, so this could be run repeatedly and the save folder name increments with the date and time.)

This way, when I try to make a change to the lua files, I just click the icon set aside for generating a new game with a large map, wait, and see what happens. When the game starts, I can look around in omniscient mode, and I have a save game file I can search through.

I admit this is small, but I think it would be appreciated as more modding arises.

Thank you.

fonzosh

Postby fonzosh » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:51 am

Refitting conquered bases.

In my latest game Ive tried a new tactics that more or less is a Borg tactic "Assimilate" :D But now Ive several outpost/bases that I cant refitt to my current tech standard. Should be no problem to rip out those fission missiles and put in Anti matter missiles.

Nerdchieftain

Postby Nerdchieftain » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:19 pm

Can we create a summary document (maybe google docs?) and post it in the main post so we don't keep suggesting the same thing over and over?

bjg

Postby bjg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:55 pm

Nerdchieftain wrote:Can we create a summary document (maybe google docs?) and post it in the main post so we don't keep suggesting the same thing over and over?

Developers had mentioned that they actually benefit from repeated suggestions.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:30 pm

Nerdchieftain wrote:Can we create a summary document (maybe google docs?) and post it in the main post so we don't keep suggesting the same thing over and over?

I do keep a document. Don't worry about repeating yourselves.

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:15 pm

Perhaps there should be a absolute max cap for population on planets. Tinkers don't care about overcrowding, and being able to bring any planets population to 100 + is a bit imbalanced.
Perhaps tinker Asteroid outposts and Mobile Bases could have a variable effect depending on what was mounted in it (asteroid can mount construction module, refueling depot and hangar bay). Even a color change depending on what module was used would be nice (red for hangar, green for construction, yellow for depot perhaps?)

Nerdchieftain

Postby Nerdchieftain » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:23 am

The number of "useless" tiny non-colonizable planets was increased in the last patch.
Can it be set so that artificial planets can be constructed in that location, just like the gas giants?

fonzosh

Postby fonzosh » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:33 pm

Three suggestions

1. At least 2 different graphical styles of every ship, but to begin with Carriers. I allways make 2 different carriers, one for boarding and one for fighters. Would be great to be able to keep these appart (I might have suggested it before, so I hope that I dont bother you to much)

2. Some way in the planet overwievmenu to see if the planet is full. The white number could maybe change into green when the planet has reached its max pop? This way you dont have to search around all the planets every time to find a planet that is caped to move around your pop to a newly taken planet.

3. Se defences in the planet overview meny. Maybe a small symbol for star base, infantry and ground artillery.

All in all, I would like to see more info in the planet overview table. As of now, playing with 150 stars, it takes time to find the planet that is full/have left over infantry aso.

Return to “Testing”