Suggest - Features and Improvements

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Arioch

Re: Suggest - Features and Improvements

Postby Arioch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:55 pm

"Ballistic shields" are better known as "armor." :D

Currently shield piercing is an all-or-nothing proposition, which was not my intent and is clearly a balance problem. This is something we will try to address.

spitfire_ch

Postby spitfire_ch » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:00 am

Arioch wrote:"Ballistic shields" are better known as "armor." :D

Almost, but there is a fine difference: shields can recharge and require energy, armor usually does not.

Arioch wrote:Currently shield piercing is an all-or-nothing proposition, which was not my intent and is clearly a balance problem. This is something we will try to address.

Glad to hear it, thank you :)

vinco

Postby vinco » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Probably a post-release thing, but could we get a rework on colonization mechanics to take the species on board the ships into consideration? I'm currently playing an Orthin game, but have Imperials and Humans in my empire. When building a colony ship with those pops, I'm still limited to Orthin worlds, even though those races do very poorly in Orthin-preferred environments.

I'd like to see something prohibiting pops on worlds with unsuitable biomes (until appropriate tech). This would prevent moving species into colonies which can't support them, but allow the player to use the other races (however acquired) to colonize the planet types that those races prefer.

Similarly, when colonizing in-system from the build queue, I'd like to be able to select which species from the colonizing planet will be used.

vinco

Postby vinco » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:08 pm

Can we establish a way to export fractional pops from worlds? I've captured a pirate base which is overpopulated. I'd like to be able to move the ~470k colonials to a world where they can grow into a full pop, but can't find a way to do that. Barring that, I'd love to see the ability for species on a planet to reach whole population numbers. Perhaps by allowing a player to set a quota, and manually stop the growth of certain species at nice whole numbers?

spitfire_ch

Postby spitfire_ch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:37 am

Boarding: hold your fire
When trying to capture an enemy vessel, it is not helping when your ships are automatically firing at the vessel. A "don't shoot this target" command would be very helpful in such situations, maybe, in addition, even a general "hold your fire" command.

bjg

Postby bjg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:57 am

spitfire_ch wrote:Boarding: hold your fire
When trying to capture an enemy vessel, it is not helping when your ships are automatically firing at the vessel. A "don't shoot this target" command would be very helpful in such situations, maybe, in addition, even a general "hold your fire" command.

Weapon can be temporarily disabled with a right click. Not exactly what you are asking, but does the job.

bjg

Postby bjg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:48 pm

In the Fleet Report could you show mercenaries ships in their colors (currently it's in yours)? Shouldn't be hard, I believe.

spitfire_ch

Postby spitfire_ch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:42 pm

bjg wrote:
spitfire_ch wrote:Boarding: hold your fire

Weapon can be temporarily disabled with a right click. Not exactly what you are asking, but does the job.

Thanks for the hint! I wasn't aware of that.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:34 am

Could we get the Cheat Options back? It's good for testing :)
You could make it a ini switch for them to show up, so most folks won't be tempted by it.

And I got a silly Idea for cheat use overnight:
- give yourself one tech cheat click to get a headstart (but not all-Techs, would be better if resources are a different cheat button),
- you are not allowed to rush buy stuff or build colony or troop ships.
So you have to conquer the galaxy from you starting system (and maybe splinter colonies).
It's superior tech VS industrial power.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Cheat has been moved to the developer's menu. This is enabled by placing an empty text file named "show_hidden_options.bool" in your /Stars in Shadow/ directory. The menu is accessed by clicking on the "Options" title text in the options menu.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Is a re-balance of maintenance costs of ships planned?
They seem to be too flat, and even small differences between smallest and largest crafts

AI strengthening should have top priority of course (being a 4X game), but maybe this should be done before the script is further tuned so that it is already taken into account

Another topic: how about using the transport pool for logistics?
If the pool is too small for the existing ships, the ones in the outer regions might loos crew, or cost more...
I am a big fan of the trade pool system and would have it seen raided by pirates or used for other functions such as the above :)
It would also give a meaning to the ship report counter as it could now display the max amount of ships the pool can supply/amount of existing ships

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:04 pm

zolobolo wrote:Is a re-balance of maintenance costs of ships planned?
They seem to be too flat, and even small differences between smallest and largest crafts

Yes. We declined to do this right before release because of the risk to game balance, but we'll definitely address it in the future.

There's some discussion of commerce raiding in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=210

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:49 pm

Arioch wrote:There's some discussion of commerce raiding in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=210

Great, I don't think on much, if pirates (and maybe humans) could raid the trade lines that would be a great step. Looking forward to anything though that you have cooked up.

How about showing the embarked unit on the side of the ships icon in the fleet overview window so the player does not need to click on the question mark for each of the transports to see what is them?

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:05 am

Arioch wrote:Cheat has been moved to the developer's menu. This is enabled by placing an empty text file named "show_hidden_options.bool" in your /Stars in Shadow/ directory. The menu is accessed by clicking on the "Options" title text in the options menu.

Thanks!

Side note about Assault Marines: Since they are meant for ship-to-ship fighting as well some ground action, the term "space marine" would actually be correct for once ;) (to bad it's cliched as hell and a copyright/trademark minefield)

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:53 am

SirDamnALot wrote:Side note about Assault Marines: Since they are meant for ship-to-ship fighting as well some ground action, the term "space marine" would actually be correct for once ;) (to bad it's cliched as hell and a copyright/trademark minefield)

Which is exactly why we didn't call them that. :D

Return to “Testing”