1. Visual effect when shield is hit (think this was already mentioned)
2. Visuals when weapon is disabled - glowing red scar on ship model where the weapon is mounted. This would also make beaten up ships visually recognizable
3. Experience for ships, or rather crew of ship. When they loose personnel, they should be restocked by rookies
4. Hero characters commanding ships (for sure mentioned before
- these characters should die with the ships so battles are that more intensive. The player can try to pull out the ship anyhow and not loosing the character would make its presence always beneficial without risk. Don't care much about governors, the meat of the game lies in the tactical combat...
5. Make fighters and bombers more important. Currently they appear too late in the game (except when playing colonials) and the first tier interceptor is not useful. Make carriers available more early, have the AI use them, have more hangars on higher tier carriers, make bombers more powerful and have additional fighter class for only anti-fighter/bomber so there are 3 advanced classes: fighter, bomber, all-rounder (but not the best at either)
6. Specific, clear purpose for the science-lab and scanner modules of the ships. Currently, I do not see what they are actually used for. The later seems to be adding science but is that it? Thinking on events, that require these modules, or specific activities - like planets cannot be scanned without these...
7. Show fire arcs when weapon is selected - Currently only see these when I hover over an enemy with the weapon selected