Suggest - Features and Improvements

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Arioch

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby Arioch » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:39 pm

luciderous wrote:It would, if you didn't have any other way of displaying the compatibility between hardpoints and modules. But you DO have that visual distinction available, when dragging the module to the hardpoint.

There's only a noticeable distinction between applicable slots and non-applicable slots; if you tried to drag a component that had no applicable slots, all the target slots would look the same.

I agree that researching missiles and then not having any missiles to equip is non-intuitive, but I'm not sure that showing the user a component that can't be equipped is the right way to fix the problem.

echo2361

Postby echo2361 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Arioch wrote:
I agree that researching missiles and then not having any missiles to equip is non-intuitive, but I'm not sure that showing the user a component that can't be equipped is the right way to fix the problem.

I also found it confusing at first when I researched missiles and then didn't see them show up when designing a new light cruiser. Maybe techs with mounting options limited by ship size should say so in their descriptions. Something like *Can only be mounted on heavy cruiser and above hulls*

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Missiles are a heavy weapon; they require a heavy mount. That should be more clear in the description, but I also agree with what Big Imp said in a different thread: that the components on the right should be labeled with the same colored classification as the slots on the left.

The ship designer is in need of a number of changes.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Arioch wrote:Missiles are a heavy weapon; they require a heavy mount. That should be more clear in the description, but I also agree with what Big Imp said in a different thread: that the components on the right should be labeled with the same colored classification as the slots on the left.

The ship designer is in need of a number of changes.

I know this is straying into suggestions vs bug reports, but it's where the discussion is.

Having a weapons system accessible more quickly than you'd have a ship to fit it is counter-intuitive. This would be a new user's first brush up against the notion of weapon size classes, so the issue isn't so much 'where's my missiles?' as it is that the answer is 'you have no ships large enough to mount those missiles'.

Low yield nukes?

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:16 pm

I agree that the current nuclear missile tech unlock placement doesn't make sense. I think the short-term answer is to make the point defense version of the nuclear missiles available in the same tech; that way you'll have something to equip. Anti-missiles aren't exciting in terms of offensive damage, but in the early game they're better than nothing if that's the only weapon tech you've researched.

Big Imp

Re: Suggest - Features and Improvements

Postby Big Imp » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:21 pm

When another race enter you solar system it shouldn't show battle bubbles as though you are under attack it should just say you have visitors. If they attack you should got to tactical screen and start the battle.
1. Desktop Corsair 450D Case, X99 MSI mobo, Intel 5820K i7(Hexacore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia GPU 680 GTX driver v.364.51, Windows 10 Pro
2. Laptop ASUS ROG G751JY, Intel i7 4720(Quadcore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia 980M(Driver 364.51), Windows 10

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:00 pm

Big Imp wrote:When another race enter you solar system it shouldn't show battle bubbles as though you are under attack it should just say you have visitors. If they attack you should got to tactical screen and start the battle.

This will eventually be the behavior. Right now you are functionally at war with everyone, even if you technically are not.

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:03 pm

Arioch wrote:
Big Imp wrote:When another race enter you solar system it shouldn't show battle bubbles as though you are under attack it should just say you have visitors. If they attack you should got to tactical screen and start the battle.

This will eventually be the behavior. Right now you are functionally at war with everyone, even if you technically are not.

OK :P :lol:
1. Desktop Corsair 450D Case, X99 MSI mobo, Intel 5820K i7(Hexacore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia GPU 680 GTX driver v.364.51, Windows 10 Pro
2. Laptop ASUS ROG G751JY, Intel i7 4720(Quadcore), 16 GB Mem, Nvidia 980M(Driver 364.51), Windows 10

bcasner

Postby bcasner » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:15 pm

Was playing the game this morning and have a small suggestion for you to consider. When an enemy reaches my planet I get the "conflict" button showing up on the right hand side. When clicked I get the Attack option there. Could you also have it so that if we click on the enemy ship icon in our system we get the same "attack" option? Just a thought that would speed things up. :)

I like the research set up but could there somewhere be included research trees? Like to get Fusion weaponry I would have to first research x, y, z thing. For example in Total War games the research trees there show you the consequences of choices, what options open up what future tech. That would be a real exciting addition I think.

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:49 pm

bcasner wrote:I like the research set up but could there somewhere be included research trees? Like to get Fusion weaponry I would have to first research x, y, z thing. For example in Total War games the research trees there show you the consequences of choices, what options open up what future tech. That would be a real exciting addition I think.

It is already there sorto as I see it. When you look at description you get info what it will open up to, and I must admit I like as it is. I want to be kept in the dark when I research. I don't want to get it all out in the open.
Attachments
tech.jpg
tech.jpg (113.54 KiB) Viewed 32367 times

Big Imp

Postby Big Imp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:36 pm

I am not sure if it should be here or in bug thread, but here goes.
I have noticed whenever I press "Turn" all planets stops rotating. Even in the planet panel/window.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:44 pm

Big Imp wrote:I have noticed whenever I press "Turn" all planets stops rotating. Even in the planet panel/window.

The AI calculations currently take place in the same thread as the display. This will eventually be changed.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:59 pm

Arioch wrote:
Big Imp wrote:I have noticed whenever I press "Turn" all planets stops rotating. Even in the planet panel/window.

The AI calculations currently take place in the same thread as the display. This will eventually be changed.

Yeah. The full technical details here get complicated. But, at the very least when you hit End Turn, we'd like the game to fade in / fade out an End Turn banner -- and maybe drop some other UI hints to make it clear that that there's background processing going on. That much should be pretty straightforward -- and it's on my list of things to do "soonish".

But, getting the planets to continue spinning while background processing is happening is actually fairly hard, given the way the guts of the game are put together. *Eventually* I'd like to fix that as well. But, there's a lot of reasons that it's not quite as easy a feature to get working as you might think, and so it's not something I'm planning to spend time on in the immediate future. One of the biggest complicating factors here is that much of the intra-turn delay isn't actually associated with AI processing -- it's related to the maintenance of large dynamic graphics assets like the planet textures themselves.

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:09 pm

Based on 2015-03-05 (r11854) - 'dev'
  • LMB-panning works great! Yet there is default cursor visible when panning - forcing the default game cursor to work everywhere would do the trick. Also, it feels like the old MMB-panning works more smoothly than LMB-panning. Or is it me?
  • RMB doesn’t close the top layer anymore and that’s great! However, it would be nice to be able to close the system view by simply LMB-clicking on the starmap anywhere
  • It would be nice to be able to dismiss popup notifications by simply RMB-clicking on the relevant icons in the notifications queue
  • I’d very much prefer using ESC to F10 for bringing up the game menu. Much more intuitive, I guess.
  • Science points symbol in text windows is placed too close the actual number - a single space between them would make things look better
  • Hypertext links are underlined - that looks more like a webpage. I’d recommend to remove the underscore and leave the color distinction only
  • There is no windowed/fullscreen mode toggle, at least none that I could find easily. Having one would be nice, especially for those who for some reason prefer to play in window mode
  • Planetary Report panel has a great “close panel” edge. Would be nice to have the same one uniformly used for other screens
  • There are many issues of UI layers overlapping (foreground/background) and other UI placement artifacts. I’m not reporting each and every one of them, since I assume you are aware of the issue

luciderous

Postby luciderous » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:10 pm

Something like a “cloud of war” for unexplored space on the strategic map would be nice, so that the player doesn’t see what’s happening everywhere in the galaxy right away. For example: on the game start - you can only see your own star system with planets rotating. Other systems are only visible as stars (no planets visible, no names for systems, no ships orbiting) until scouted. I assume you already gave it a thought, but since it wasn’t mentioned anywhere - I decided to bring your attention to it.

Return to “Testing”