Planet drawing

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
nweismuller

Planet drawing

Postby nweismuller » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:52 am

How much population is even required to trigger the 'high' level of development for Tendao, anyhow? At 18 million, capped out at current technology, it seems to still be using the 'medium' lights for shallow water development, based on what I'm seeing in game. And I can't work out what the .lua files are saying. Is this a bug, or am I just missing how you get that far? I experimented with overpopulating Tendao by 2 million from the other planet in system, which, unexpectedly, didn't change the shallow water development level, but DID add the 'low' surface lighting level, even with only Phidi on planet.

sven
Site Admin

Re: Planet drawing

Postby sven » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:03 pm

nweismuller wrote:How much population is even required to trigger the 'high' level of development for Tendao, anyhow? At 18 million, capped out at current technology, it seems to still be using the 'medium' lights for shallow water development, based on what I'm seeing in game. And I can't work out what the .lua files are saying. Is this a bug, or am I just missing how you get that far? I experimented with overpopulating Tendao by 2 million from the other planet in system, which, unexpectedly, didn't change the shallow water development level, but DID add the 'low' surface lighting level, even with only Phidi on planet.

Tendao's city lights had a bug :oops:

I've re-written the logic used for determining which light sets are shown on a given planet more times than I'd like to admit; and it would appear that this re-writing has caused a at least one bug. Should be fixed in the next patch.

Once again, I'm impressed by how deep you've managed to get into the core game logic :-) If you're going to keep digging around, I'd suggest looking at the modding info page (assuming you haven't found that already). Basic tools like syntax highlighting and a global string-search (both of which are provided by Visual Studio), are really very helpful. Also, you can use the engine's live-coding features to dump arbitrary game-state variables to the in-game console by making minor edits to any of the .lua files, which is also a handy feature if you want to really see how things are working.

nweismuller

Re: Planet drawing

Postby nweismuller » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:18 pm

sven wrote:Once again, I'm impressed by how deep you've managed to get into the core game logic :-)

Honestly, I figured this out as part of a project for my own entertainment to make flat maps of the various homeworlds using the graphical assets provided. Once I started looking at the different lights images for Tendao, it was obvious based on my own experience of admiring my own homeworld (since I habitually play Phidi) that there was a lights level I was never seeing, so I'm not sure how deep into the logic I was actually getting there. Heh.

Return to “Testing”