Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
PrivateHudson

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby PrivateHudson » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:12 pm

Game_9765. Yoral declared war and offered open ports treaty in the same turn. Accepting creates absurd situation - war along with agreement.

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 pm

Humans declared war over declined territorial ultimatum. My allies Phidi have come to my aid. When several turns later the ultimatum target system was emptied (I withdraw asteroid outpost from there), I agreed to Humanity ceasefire. To my surprise, Phidi/Human war continued apace.

10JML01

Postby 10JML01 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:50 am

Unfortunately I didn't save the game, but today I witnessed an ally attack our enemy planet and interfered, because I wanted to invade the planet and safe the people (instead of them getting bombed). So I destroyed the attacking ships of my ally and he did not mind AT ALL. Not a word about it, no approval penalty, nothing.

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 am

If I understand correctly, primitive races should not benefit from the Militia tech. However, today threshers were shown in bomb/invade dialog as strength 2 militia.

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:31 pm

Game_9816. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the outcome of combat ships vs population transports encounter be latter's guaranteed surrender? Seems, it even generates different pre-battle notification. And once again auto-resolution of such an encounter (any of 2 notifications) at Vega leads to normal battle, with 1-2 transports destroyed and the rest fleeing. Are any probabilities involved?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:03 am

PrivateHudson wrote:Game_9816. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the outcome of combat ships vs population transports encounter be latter's guaranteed surrender? Seems, it even generates different pre-battle notification. And once again auto-resolution of such an encounter (any of 2 notifications) at Vega leads to normal battle, with 1-2 transports destroyed and the rest fleeing. Are any probabilities involved?

There are no probabilities. The distinction is whether the transports are traveling as part of a pop move (in which case, they're considered to be "under civilian command", and will surrender automatically), or if they're part of a military fleet (in which case they won't auto-surrender).

This game includes a very complex situation. The human empire has been sending pop transports into a war zone, and the planets those pop transports are arriving at have been getting captured by your empire before the transports had a chance to land. At Vega, there are 2 groups of such transports, one that was heading to Vega, and now can't land there (because you captured the planet), and other group that was headed to Yaluk, couldn't complete the trip (because you captured it), and were forced to retreat to Vega. One of these groups is still technically under civilian command, but, another has reverted to military command, as a result of the mess around Yaluk.

I don't *think* there are many formal bugs here -- (the title over the retreating Yaluk ships is wrong, but, that's a pretty minor thing). The situation is admittedly pretty weird and confusing though.

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:53 am

sven wrote:I don't *think* there are many formal bugs here -- (the title over the retreating Yaluk ships is wrong, but, that's a pretty minor thing). The situation is admittedly pretty weird and confusing though.

Thank you, Sven. Now it's all clear. I don't think there are any bugs at all, all interactions make sense. Sending pop into war zone is, probably, not very wise for AI, but capturing those transports is fun, they can constitute substantial part of the spoils of war.

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:22 pm

Is there any way to trigger vote for chancellor after you postponed it, and if not, why? I.e. when your assistant asks about "Convene the counsel", and you choose not "See to it", but "No, this is not the right time", because in 2 turns someone will become your ally. Then you enter diplomacy screen, select Galaxy counsil, and it shows "Next vote in -2 turns", and no "Convene now" button.

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:14 am

If I'm not mistaken, there's currently a situation that feels unfinished, when two (or more) different empires' outposts meet at unclaimed system, possibly complicated by the presence of warships and dipl. stance (war/neutral/alliance). Player can claim the system through his outpost notification or build/orbit order without any diplomatic negotiations or relationship penalties. It would be logical to disable/hide these options until other parties have conceded the system to you, or at least treat its use as broken negotiations, complete with rel. hit and warning about it. Fortunately, the matter isn't urgent, as the player can remedy it himself by "ethical" order of actions.

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:41 pm

Game_9841. Why travel time from Vega to Rasalgethi is 1 turn, from Rasalgethi to Atria is also 1 turn, but directly from Vega to Atria is 3 turns?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:43 pm

PrivateHudson wrote:Game_9841. Why travel time from Vega to Rasalgethi is 1 turn, from Rasalgethi to Atria is also 1 turn, but directly from Vega to Atria is 3 turns?

You're the first person to notice this in the 4 years since the game was released!

My motion code has a rounding bug that sometimes causes things like this to happen. I've been putting off fixing it because once I correct the bug, I'll need to rebalance a lot of the drive techs to compensate for the changed mechanic. Now that people realize it's there though, I guess I'll need to do that sooner rather than later :oops:

bjg

Postby bjg » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:01 pm

sven wrote:
PrivateHudson wrote:Game_9841. Why travel time from Vega to Rasalgethi is 1 turn, from Rasalgethi to Atria is also 1 turn, but directly from Vega to Atria is 3 turns?

You're the first person to notice this in the 4 years since the game was released!

My motion code has a rounding bug that sometimes causes things like this to happen. I've been putting off fixing it because once I correct the bug, I'll need to rebalance a lot of the drive techs to compensate for the changed mechanic. Now that people realize it's there though, I guess I'll need to do that sooner rather than later :oops:

I might have noticed, but it didn't (or wouldn't) bother me. Navigation in (hyper)space is tricky. ;)

PrivateHudson

Postby PrivateHudson » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:06 am

bjg wrote:
sven wrote:

I might have noticed, but it didn't (or wouldn't) bother me. Navigation in (hyper)space is tricky. ;)

Yeah, just write it off to hyperlane irregularities.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:24 am

In a turn-based game, transit times must always be whole integer values, and so it's not really possible to eliminate rounding errors in some situations.

Dacarnix

Postby Dacarnix » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:02 am

sven wrote:You're the first person to notice this in the 4 years since the game was released!

But is it a "bug" or is it a "feature"?

I've also noticed that travel times vary based on your pathing. You can find examples where it saves you a turn as well as examples that cost you a turn. Looking at the travel times to stars along your path doesn't feel exploitative to me. It just feels like an element of the game.

("Fixing" it also feels... sticky. I suppose you could round up in all situations and increase all travel speeds by about 10 - 15%. That feels like the right starting point.)

Return to “Testing”