Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
sven
Site Admin

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby sven » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:30 pm

mharmless wrote:The other player races seem to have 0.5 as the default science output per citizen and Orthin have 1.0, so this should probably list it as +0.5 science.

Opps. In an earlier balance pass, Orthin actually did have +1.0. But, looks like I changed it back to .5/1.0. Good catch.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:39 am

Build r14486 (01/08/2016)
Bombarding and starvation can create sub-one-million units of population, which can then be moved around via transport and morphed into a full million.

Attacked Unukalhai and took it from the Pirates via invasion. I had to bomb it to take it with just one unit first, which left the planet with about 9000 Gremaks and over a million Scavenger colonists. I sent some Humans over to keep an eye on the joint. The tiny population of Gremaks persisted, growing by small amounts.

On turn 1171 I dispatched the now-16,509-strong Gremak from Unukalhai II to Gaia in the Tyl system. Picking them up made the game show a greyed out --983,491- population counter. When they arrived at Gaia on turn 1176, they were a full one million Gremak strong.

I've seen these sub million populations a few times, often when I'm blockading small enemy colonies. After invasion, they continue to be sub one million. This was the first time I thought of trying to take advantage of the way population units like to be handled by the million.

Uploaded as "game_732"

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:10 am

Edit: Also in build r14675 (01/31/16)
Able to refit Heavy Cruiser with no orbital infrastructure, prior to discovery of that technology.

World with no orbital infrastructure offers option to refit the Heavy Cruiser, but not the Light Cruisers. I have not discovered Heavy Hulls yet, so this is not a hull type I can construct. Will try to capture some other hulls to see if this is a more general thing or a human free-heavy-cruiser specific thing.

Edit: Confirmed. No longer able to refit the heavy cruiser once I do have the tech to make heavy cruisers.
Edit 2: I can refit light and heavy cruisers belonging to different races with zero orbital infrastructure, even if those would require infrastructure when playing as that race.

Refit heavy without orbital infrastructure.PNG
Refit heavy without orbital infrastructure.PNG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 19285 times

Refit other race without infrastructure.PNG
Refit other race without infrastructure.PNG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 19212 times
Last edited by mharmless on Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:18 am

Captured Starbase shows description as <Missing INFO[nil]>; starbases missing description generally (but differently)

Captured a Star Base from the Teros, I don't have that technology yet. The description is as shown. Converted to jpg due to being too large.
Starbase Missinginfo.jpg
Starbase Missinginfo.jpg (562.53 KiB) Viewed 19316 times

Following turn the text changed to show "Star Base: missing hull description", still without the ability to make them myself.
starbase missing hull description.PNG
starbase missing hull description.PNG (565.64 KiB) Viewed 19316 times

After discovering the technology, it changed like so:
starbase MISSING DESCRIPTION.PNG
starbase MISSING DESCRIPTION.PNG (785.33 KiB) Viewed 19316 times

Checking my old game, that last image is what the starbases all have for a description.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:20 am

Tinker flavor text is at odds with their actual functionality.

Tinker species flavor text says "Planets with large amounts of surface water are undesirable to the tinkers (as the ocean is wasted space to them), while dry and barren environments do just fine."

Looking at climate zones, however, Tinkers are in the second class for Ocean dwellers. They share this space with the Yoral, Orthin, and Gremak. Shipping them to a island world populated by typical land dwellers such as Teros or Human results in a significant population boost, contrary to the flavor text specifically calling out this world type as undesirable.

One of those two should change to be consistent with the other.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:34 am

Colonize button on individual colony ships is at odds with actual colonization functionality.

Uploaded as "game_733". Two colony ships are located at Dubhe. The first one listed is a captured Orthin style colony ship containing a Teros colonist. The second ship listed is a human style ship with a human colonist. There are two worlds in system, an Island with a Derelict Colony event and an Arid world. Both worlds have "Colonize" buttons, of course.

Since in this case it matters which ship colonizes which world (want the Humans on the island, Teros on the arid), I click on the Colonize Planet charm that pops out from the Human colony ship in fleet view, and then select the Island world. The Orthin ship with a Teros will be used instead. The ship-level colonize appears to just redirect to the system level colonize function, and that function seems to consume colony ships in a fixed order (some kind of ship ID perhaps, creation order?).

Obviously, as long as you leave one ship unused you can do a colonist shuffle with the ships in order to get the right people to the right worlds, and leave the last world's people in the last ship to get them correct. It is just counter-intuitive to have a ship-level colonize function that then does not use the ship that was selected.

NullVoid

Postby NullVoid » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:45 pm

Version r14641

Started game as the Orthin. When selecting the first tech, followed the link to the description of the "hovertank" tech. Immediately the game crashed to a black screen (game_755).

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:03 pm

NullVoid wrote:Version r14641

Started game as the Orthin. When selecting the first tech, followed the link to the description of the "hovertank" tech. Immediately the game crashed to a black screen (game_755).

Should be fixed on r14642 (stable). Thanks for the report.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:58 am

Build r14675 (01/31/16)
Cursor Lock option makes the Galactic Map scroll thresholds extend infinitely outside the bounds of the gaming area.

Initially noted this with my dual display setup, with the game on right display and me browsing on left. However it reproduces just the same with only a small window on a single monitor. The galactic map scroll triggers appear to be the edges of the window, extended infinitely far parallel to each side.

This does not happen with the cursor lock option off.

Infinite map scroll handles.png
Infinite map scroll handles.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 19268 times

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:32 am

Build r14675 (01/31/16)
Armor Brigade pod gives same ship construction tooltip as Cargo Pods.

Both the Troopship and the Transport show the same statistics on mouseover, and have the same tooltip. The troopship costs the 50 wrenches and 10 metals extra that a tank would cost, but nothing makes that fact obvious before hand.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:35 am

Build r14675 (01/31/16)
Refitting a troopship over and over can generate tanks for 17 or 18 wrenches and no metal, infinitely.

Once a troopship is built, it looks like a normal cargo pod instead of saying Armor Brigade. Emptying the cargo pod of the tank and then refitting the ship will generate a new tank into that pod.

The refit is only possible with a design change, and the only change you can make and still be a troopship is the engine. Research fusion and then refit the ship back and forth between nuclear and fusion engines. Fuse to Nuke is 17 wrenches of work, Nuke to Fuse is 18 wrenches, neither costs metal and both make a new tank.

The Xenocidal Crusade has been much faster this time...

edited by sven: I was worried someone would figure this out before I got around to patching the bug. It's a known issue, and it's on my TODO list.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:24 am

Build r14675 (01/31/16)
Planet is not depopulated after tank-only invasion with less than one million survivors.

From the design documents posted the other day:
If a planet is conquered, and the surviving population is less than 1: The result depends on whether or not any infantry is included in the attacking force. Assuming the attackers have surviving infantry, they disembark and take control of the colony. However, if the surviving attacking units include only armor, then he planet is depopulated in a vicious ground war. For game purposes, this is much like depopulation due to bombardment (see: Planets Destroyed by Bombardment), but, morale penalties that may apply in the bombardment case would not be applied here.

Conquered Akkeri II with nothing but tanks. 1.9 million people, 1 militia, destroyed during capture. Received the planet with 934,940 Yoral remaining. Uploaded as "game_780". The planet was not destroyed and eventually grew to be over one million Yoral.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:29 am

Build r14675 (01/31/16)
Fleet selection highlighting can be placed into an ambiguous state where a fleet is highlighted but nothing is actually selected.

Uploaded "game_781".
1) Select the fleet at Akkeri. Fleet becomes highlighted on the galaxy map.
2) Click on the captured Yoral scout so that it highlights. Fleet still highlighted on galaxy map.
3) Click the question mark on the scout, and scrap it. Fleet still highlighted on galaxy map, no ships are highlighted.
4) Hold right click to destination for the apparently selected fleet. Note that a fleet movement line will appear like normal.
5) Attempt to send the fleet to Astir. It will drag and select but no ships will go.
6) Game has entered a state where the galaxy map reflects a subselection of the fleet which is no longer valid because the previously selected ships have been scrapped. Nothing is actually selected anymore.

I would expect that the entire fleet is selected again, as I have no subselection any more.
Alternately, I would expect that the fleet is not highlighted at the galaxy level, as no ships are actually selected any more.

Edit: Definitely the first one actually. If the fleet de-highlighted on the galaxy map but was still showing in the info panel at the bottom of the screen, I suspect most people would expect that the fleet is selected.
Last edited by mharmless on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:20 am

Build r14675 (01/31/16)
Hyperspace Metrics technology descriptions are inconsistent.

The Hyperspace Metrics research describes itself as providing an increase in strategic speed to 1.1 parsecs per turn.

Upon completion of that research, the text instead says "Warp lane speeds increased by 50 percent."

These two might be equivalent, making base warp speed something like 0.733, but that doesn't seem likely.

bjg

Postby bjg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:12 pm

mharmless wrote:Build r14675 (01/31/16)
Fleet selection highlighting can be placed into an ambiguous state where a fleet is highlighted but nothing is actually selected.

Uploaded "game_781".
1) Select the fleet at Akkeri. Fleet becomes highlighted on the galaxy map.
2) Click on the captured Yoral scout so that it highlights. Fleet still highlighted on galaxy map.
3) Click the question mark on the scout, and scrap it. Fleet still highlighted on galaxy map, no ships are highlighted.
4) Hold right click to destination for the apparently selected fleet. Note that a fleet movement line will appear like normal.
5) Attempt to send the fleet to Astir. It will drag and select but no ships will go.
6) Game has entered a state where the galaxy map reflects a subselection of the fleet which is no longer valid because the previously selected ships have been scrapped. Nothing is actually selected anymore.

I think I've had something similar. Just clicked outside of the range to deselect a group, and couldn't select any ship after that. Had to use the "auto" button.
Some next/previous ship buttons/keys might be helpful. The "select/deselect all" also might be a good idea. Groups might require more work, but sound like a good thing.

Return to “Testing”