Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
bjg

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby bjg » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Arioch wrote:
bjg wrote:The Stars_in_Shadow_Manual.pdf has broken Outline (table of content) - it starts with extra "gibberish" entrances.

I'm not seeing this either in the Steam viewer or in Chrome (http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/ste ... 1485791946). What are you using to view the PDF?

FoxIt, FireFox, Adobe Reader X - on three different computers (XP, 7, Vista). Even the one you've just linked:
gibberish_bookmarks.png
gibberish_bookmarks.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 20621 times

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Arioch wrote:You must be looking at a really old trailer, as I don't think that effect has been in the game for more than 5 years. Back when there was only one faction in the game (Ashdar), Sven had implemented some destroyed ship animations that he made himself. Once we started adding more ships, the effect was dropped (it was a lot of work for each ship, and I thought it looked terrible).

We'd like to implement damage skins at some point, but I don't think debris animations are worth the effort, as they don't really add anything to game-play, and it's hard to make them look like anything better than paper cutouts.

The trailer is from the Steam page. It is the last scene of the trailer starting at around: 1:20
Would you not reconsider implementing the feature? In my opinion it looks very well and gives a load of atmosphere to the battle.
Have never seen anything of this sort in similar games so when I saw the trailer I though that is really cool. Then didn't see it in the game but was looking out for it and then finally saw when fighting against Ashdar capital ship - apparently it is still there.

To cut down on the work involved and not clutter the map you could consider to create the shards from the existing art, cutting it to pieces and giving it damage texture. It could be shown in random occasions so that only around 20% of destroyed ships leave such a debris in average. Stations and planets could also leave debris like this if you would consider allowing us to destroy a planet within tactical combat :)

Generally I think that the meat of the game is the tactical combat so any innovations and artistic love is more then welcome :)

Regarding damage skin: I remember having seen this for the hard points when I started playing a couple of months ago. Maybe that was also only for the Ashdars? When a hard point has been destroyed, the art was showing a black destroyed mark. Needless to say, a great idea. By dynamically applying a random scorch mark on the hard points is very effective and looks great.

Really like the overall art and attention to detail (such as the tiny race logos on the hulls), hope you two will expand on the above. When I play the game I think on Freelancer. That game has also been cited many times to be more then a sum of it elements ;)

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Derelict Colonies not showing any improvements

Since a while, only noticed colonies in combination with robot workers and derelict Super-Dregis
Might be a bug with derelict colonies which does not affect the above scenario as it is not handles as derelict colonies?

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:22 pm

zolobolo wrote:The trailer is from the Steam page. It is the last scene of the trailer starting at around: 1:20

It appears that the debris animation is still in the game, but only for the Ashdar battlecruiser hull. I'm surprised and a little bit embarrassed that it's still in there, because it looks awful. (Which should give you an idea of how often I use that hull. :D)

It is a bit weird that I watched that video several dozen times and never noticed the debris.

zolobolo wrote:To cut down on the work involved and not clutter the map you could consider to create the shards from the existing art, cutting it to pieces and giving it damage texture.

That's exactly how Sven created the BC debris animations, carving up each hull individually; doing it that way for almost 100 hulls would be a significant amount of work. In addition, having very noticeable debris may communicate false information to the player, leading to expectations that the debris has some impact on the battlefield (perhaps it should be avoided, or can be salvaged), when in reality it is purely cosmetic and has no real purpose, other than to look cool, which I don't think it does.

Somewhere down the road we could do more generic debris a different way (as smaller, more generic chunks mixed with particles and smoke), which I think would be less work and would look better, but I think that would make more sense if the debris had some game value (as salvage or some kind of obstacle). But for now I'd much rather spend our time on things like hull and shield hit animations, damage skins, more ships, weapons and weapon effects, etc.. Maybe we'll revisit it if/when we consider damage skins.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:00 am

Getting an error with my update client now. Log dump follows- I attempted a second update when the first failed.

updater modtime: 2017-02-07 22:16:45.959
running on 2017-02-08 04:58:27.627
loading update options:, ok, nil, true
connecting to update.stars-in-shadow.com:4669
did handshake
connection established
gathering file data, 2017-02-08 04:58:28.236
fetching file info for, C:/Games/Stars in Shadow
file fetch done..
file info reformat done..
data gather complete, 2017-02-08 04:58:58.716
version send failed:, updater\start.lua:871: unexpected
server response: "-- outdated login credentials"
lets try another port...
connecting to update.stars-in-shadow.com:80
did handshake
updater\start.lua:871: unexpected server response: "--
outdated login credentials"
connecting to update.stars-in-shadow.com:80
did handshake
connection established
gathering file data, 2017-02-08 04:59:33.420
fetching file info for, C:/Games/Stars in Shadow
file fetch done..
file info reformat done..
data gather complete, 2017-02-08 04:59:35.907
version send failed:, updater\start.lua:871: unexpected
server response: "-- outdated login credentials"
lets try another port...
connecting to update.stars-in-shadow.com:4669
did handshake
updater\start.lua:871: unexpected server response: "--
outdated login credentials"

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:10 am

I'm having similar problems. I suspect the update server is down.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Arioch wrote:
zolobolo wrote:I'm surprised and a little bit embarrassed that it's still in there, because it looks awful.

Somewhere down the road we could do more generic debris a different way (as smaller, more generic chunks mixed with particles and smoke), which I think would be less work and would look better, but I think that would make more sense if the debris had some game value (as salvage or some kind of obstacle). But for now I'd much rather spend our time on things like hull and shield hit animations, damage skins, more ships, weapons and weapon effects, etc.. Maybe we'll revisit it if/when we consider damage skins.

Don't be, I think it looks good. The reason I mentioned Freelancer as a reference was exactly this though. If you look at the debris animation and textures in that game they REALLY looked like s**t, but combined with all the other elements, the music, the ship, the movement controls, the game mechanic... it altogether felt magnificent. It was much more then the simple sum of its parts. You are of course looking at it critically and focusing on that individual element, but as a player I just found it cool and fitting to the setting. Its an effect that I haven't seen before and cannot compare it to other implementations to nitpick on it ;)

Agree, that it shouldn't serve as salvageable resource nor as obstacle though. Generic smoke and twinkling dust should also look splendid.
Again. There is not competition :)

Regarding damage models, I can hardly wait. Sorry if I get my hopes up but I have already visualized glowing red scars caused by strong energy beams...

Shield hit animation has been mentioned before, definitively at least a couple of people are looking forward to that :)

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:37 pm

Ambivalent robotic workers are affected by alien rulership
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5xu2r96mecbd0o/Ambivalent.jpg?dl=0

Also saw this for Tinkers a while back though not sure if they had the Ambivalent trait, their description did mention that they do not care about anything else outside of working and worshiping some machine god

bjg

Postby bjg » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:47 pm

zolobolo wrote:Ambivalent robotic workers are affected by alien rulership
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5xu2r96mecbd0o/Ambivalent.jpg?dl=0

Also saw this for Tinkers a while back though not sure if they had the Ambivalent trait, their description did mention that they do not care about anything else outside of working and worshiping some machine god

Tinkers do have the Ambivalent trait. It's my understanding that ambivalent species wont protest nor rebel regardless of morale. It would be more logical if they've had morale=0 (no matter what) though.

bjg

Postby bjg » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:53 pm

If you "embark colonists" from fleet or ship screen, and the colony has one (!) race and tanks - colonists (and not tanks) are being embarked without any dialog. This is quite old behavior recently reported as changed - it's not, and it's a bug now.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Shipyard shown the ship building in some cases such as for: Battlecruiser but not for others
Can you please also make the other types shown if they are under construction?

SilasOfBorg

Postby SilasOfBorg » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:54 pm

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but Planetary Revolts are.. odd.

I've noticed a couple times now that if a planet with X natives on it revolts, there are X units on the "Loyal" side and also X units on the "Rebel" side. Each side can take casualties, and those casualties will be subtracted from the total population!

In a more concrete example, I colonized a planet with 3 Scavengers on it. The next turn they revolted, I had 3 Loyal scanvengers (plus my colonists) against 3 Rebel Scavengers. The loyalists took 2 casualties and the rebels took 1. After the dust settled, there were less than 10k Scavengers left on the planet!

This is really easy to reproduce - just colonize any colony with potentially unhappy natives early on before any mitigating techs are discovered, and hit end turn until they revolt.

I have a feeling this is more than just a display bug.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:05 am

Another blackscreen error; uploaded in game_3027.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Marauders seem to be able to capture planets.
Not sure if this is intended so reporting it + think I haven't seen this behaviour a couple of months ago:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3yq3hwa7aj21e0/Occupied.jpg?dl=0

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:36 pm

zolobolo wrote:Marauders seem to be able to capture planets.
Not sure if this is intended so reporting it + think I haven't seen this behaviour a couple of months ago:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3yq3hwa7aj21e0/Occupied.jpg?dl=0

Not a bug. If a raiding target is weak enough, they'll just take it.

Return to “Testing”