Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
sven
Site Admin

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby sven » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:53 pm

evil713 wrote:dev bug, maybe, have discovered wrecked ship in system I already have colonized by scout ship. I think this may be second time I have discovered said ship in same system. have uploaded logs.

This is another case where the game is actually working as intended -- though the behavior is confusing, so perhaps the rules need to change.

Right now, there are some system specials, including the "derilict spacecraft" discoveries, that you can only discover if you have a ship with the "scanner" special system. Additionally, if you get chased out of a system by pirates or other NPCs, you won't have a chance to get any such system specials, but, you will still chart the system.

What happened to you at Procyon was

1) You scouted with your scout ship, but ran from the pirates. Thus, the special wasn't triggered.
2) You defeated the pirates with your CA, which didn't mount a scanner. Still no special.
3) You colonized one of the planets.
3) You routed your scout to Procyon, thus, finally, all the conditions were meet to discover the derelict.

Perhaps it's worth adding a special rule that says that, in the case that you *colonize* a planet in a system you haven't yet "scanned", any unscanned specials are discovered. I think that more or less makes sense.

Another reasonable adjustment might be to switch to a more Civ-like rule set, and say that systems are always "scanned", regardless of whether or not you have a ship with scanners. But, give better rewards in the case that a scout ship is present.

evil713

Postby evil713 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:17 am

sven wrote:
evil713 wrote:dev bug, maybe, have discovered wrecked ship in system I already have colonized by scout ship. I think this may be second time I have discovered said ship in same system. have uploaded logs.

This is another case where the game is actually working as intended -- though the behavior is confusing, so perhaps the rules need to change.

Right now, there are some system specials, including the "derilict spacecraft" discoveries, that you can only discover if you have a ship with the "scanner" special system. Additionally, if you get chased out of a system by pirates or other NPCs, you won't have a chance to get any such system specials, but, you will still chart the system.

What happened to you at Procyon was

1) You scouted with your scout ship, but ran from the pirates. Thus, the special wasn't triggered.
2) You defeated the pirates with your CA, which didn't mount a scanner. Still no special.
3) You colonized one of the planets.
3) You routed your scout to Procyon, thus, finally, all the conditions were meet to discover the derelict.

Perhaps it's worth adding a special rule that says that, in the case that you *colonize* a planet in a system you haven't yet "scanned", any unscanned specials are discovered. I think that more or less makes sense.

Another reasonable adjustment might be to switch to a more Civ-like rule set, and say that systems are always "scanned", regardless of whether or not you have a ship with scanners. But, give better rewards in the case that a scout ship is present.

You could make it that without a scout modual you cannot see the planetary stats except for type and size unless you colonise one. and the science modual you can scout systems a second time, maybe new resourse deposits, lost ships and such.

Ygneous

Game won't launch

Postby Ygneous » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi,

Last night I discovered a bug in the starvation system. Today, neither the game nor the launcher will open. The game will show up in the task manager as a background process, but doesn't do anything else. I left it running for a couple hours to verify that it wasn't merely slow. I can't tell if the launcher (update.exe) starts a process; when I tried to start it, the Windows Explorer window froze.

I have not yet tried to uninstall and reinstall SiS. I figured you might want to know about the bug. A few relevant screenshots are attached.
Attachments
TaskManager.JPG
TaskManager.JPG (24.46 KiB) Viewed 36738 times
SystemInformation.JPG
SystemInformation.JPG (37.03 KiB) Viewed 36738 times

evil713

Postby evil713 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:20 pm

wow you have so little computer. I thought win 10 needed 8 gig ram minimum.

Ygneous

Postby Ygneous » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:26 pm

Nope, Win 10 is quite happy. It runs a hell of a lot faster than my old laptop with 4 GB RAM and a slightly faster processor. This game is quite happy to run on this laptop, too (which I sure can't take for granted with this little thing).

Update: I moved the game folder from the C drive to Program Files (x86), and now it's working fine.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Ygneous wrote:Update: I moved the game folder from the C drive to Program Files (x86), and now it's working fine.

Hrm. This is interesting. Thanks for the report. My hunch would be that you have an unusual permissions setup on your machine. Tablet permissions settings are sometimes a little eccentric...

Was this originally a windows 10 machine, or did you upgrade from win 8/7?

Can you tell me the name of any antivirus or other security software you're running?

Glad you found a fix. (Interestingly, on a typical windows 10 machine, putting the game folder inside Program Files (x86) tends to create a crash on install -- which is why I moved it to the C drive in the first place.)

Ygneous

Windows 10

Postby Ygneous » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:34 pm

I upgraded my machine from Windows 8.1, before installing SiS.

The Windows 10 install crash you mentioned did happen to me. I let it install on the C drive on a second try.

I am running Avast! antivirus, which didn't make a peep during install. I haven't changed permission settings from my default, but I did need to give it administrative permission to move the program to Program Files.

Zaskow

Postby Zaskow » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Small issue: fresh build doesn't work if you have Avast Free Antivirus in system. Adding into antivirus exceptions fixes this issue. P.S Windows 7 64-bit.

1Atmo

Postby 1Atmo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:56 pm

Hello guys,

now i try to write my first little bug report. :-) If you do not understand me what I want to say, i am sorry for my poor english. By the way if you don´t understand something, say it, i will try to formulate it in a other way.

First the good. I think Sven and the SiS team do a really good job to get Stars in Shadow in a amazing 4x game that i have ever played. But the way is long and very stony :-).

1.Population bug

Now to the bug report. I'm not sure that this was intentional but I think it´s very overpowerd if planets can be a home from more than one race without penaltys.

SiS_Bug with Population.jpg
SiS_Bug with Population.jpg (632.79 KiB) Viewed 36715 times

E.G. I found a gaia planet and there was a neutral race on it witch called Gaiads 19 population max. I colonized it so i get 33 max population. Awesome! I but the next race on it and i get 48 population :-) Amazing and very strong planet if you get the chance to max out the planet. But the A.I. fleet overhelmed me with fleets which was three times as strong as my own. I think Sven like the A.I. much more than us, because the k.i. build fleets in times that can´t be real. :mrgreen:

2.Music bug

After i close my sis game somethimes the music works in the background even further. The only way to solve the problem, is to shot down the sis.exe 32 which is operating as a process in background from windows.
Music Bug.jpg
Music Bug.jpg (141.22 KiB) Viewed 36715 times

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:27 pm

1Atmo wrote:Now to the bug report. I'm not sure that this was intentional but I think it´s very overpowerd if planets can be a home from more than one race without penaltys.

Thanks for the report. It is intentional, and, I agree, it probably is over-powered. You've actually stumbled on the most-powerful combo -- Orthin+(Thresher or Phidi)+some land race gets you the max possible pop on a Paradise world.

In the future:

1) Gaia will have some sort of guardians and/or penalties associated with it.
2) Mixing different species will often lead to morale penalties.

However, right now, neither 1 or 2 are in the game, so, Tyl is just an awesome system for whoever discovers it. Arioch's working on some space-monster art, as soon as we get those, there will probably be a swarm of something dangerous to prevent early Gaia colonies.

1Atmo wrote:I think Sven like the A.I. much more than us, because the k.i. build fleets in times that can´t be real. :mrgreen:

Sadly true. I need to nerf the AIs ship production. (In an earlier build, they were very confused by food and metal, and not doing much of anything. So I let them cheat around those 2 resources, and now they're just way too strong.)

1Atmo wrote:After i close my sis game somethimes the music works in the background even further. The only way to solve the problem, is to shot down the sis.exe 32 which is operating as a process in background from windows.

Interesting. This suggests is that the game is not completely closing. How are you exiting the program? (Do you go to Main Menu -> Exit, or do you close it by hitting the close button in windowed mode?)

1Atmo

Postby 1Atmo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:48 am

Interesting. This suggests is that the game is not completely closing. How are you exiting the program? (Do you go to Main Menu -> Exit, or do you close it by hitting the close button in windowed mode?)

When i close SiS i have tested it in 2 ways.
1) I try to close it i think the way you have planned it. :-)
--> Esc + main menu + exit to windows --> the result is that in the background the process sis 32.exe is still running
2) I try to switch in window mode (tab out of the game)
-->and shot the game client down by using the cross button --> the result is that in the background the process sis 32.exe is still running

At the moment the game works under windows 7. The good i think the game runs very stabel. I havent notice a game break.
Sis.jpg
Sis.jpg (124.77 KiB) Viewed 36701 times

Intressting detail. After i close my client and start SiS again i get a message, that the game is already runnning. Logically the system recognizes it because the process ist still running in background. So i close the game again and open it. :mrgreen:
The result sis.exe 32 and updater.exe 32 grow. i hope it will help you to slove the problem.
Sis_exe.jpg
Sis_exe.jpg (244.78 KiB) Viewed 36701 times

halftea

Postby halftea » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:48 pm

Minor point and purely cosmetic in nature. Missiles/Torpedoes targeting planet defenses still report they are in an anti-shipping role rather than bombardment or something similar when you select them and check their details on the battle screen.

halftea

Postby halftea » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:37 pm

Just a question. The AI seems to be focusing way too much on building troop transports. Not that free transports are minded, as they are easy to capture and that means I don't have to sacrifice any production cycles making my own, but building like 40 of the things and just a pair of Heavy Cruisers or Fleet Carriers as the balance of your fleet seems like their ship production priorities are off. And maybe that's just me. I can upload the game if you would like.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:55 pm

halftea wrote:Just a question. The AI seems to be focusing way too much on building troop transports. Not that free transports are minded, as they are easy to capture and that means I don't have to sacrifice any production cycles making my own, but building like 40 of the things and just a pair of Heavy Cruisers or Fleet Carriers as the balance of your fleet seems like their ship production priorities are off. And maybe that's just me. I can upload the game if you would like.

They do have a troop transport / combat ship balance they're trying to hit, and if they're going 40/2, something has gone wrong. I would like to take a look at that game upload, as this isn't a behavior I've noticed in my own playthroughs.

edit: got the upload, game 631. the haduir here actually do have a considerable mobile force, i count at least a dozen fleet carriers, along with about as many heavy cruisers. the problem is that only 2 CAs are camped out with their ground assault force at Elysium -- the rest are scattered all over the map. in a way, this is an example of the complexities of ship routing. there's a decently sized haduir support force 1 turn away from Elysium , but, by the time they get there, the transports will have been destroyed and/or chased off.

all that said, while the proportional investment the AI has made in transports vs. combat ships might make sense in the early/mid game, the value of troop transports really falls off once you have 10+ of the things, and the target navy composition formulas should probably be changed to take that into account.

halftea

Postby halftea » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:13 am

I'm glad the odd balance isn't just me. :) I did notice the rest of the combat fleet starting to show as I nibbled away at the edge of their empire. But they are still fielding around 30+ transports within my visual range. I think the ~10 troop transport cap would be a good thing.

Return to “Testing”