Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
zakblood

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby zakblood » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:04 pm

thanks, glad it helped

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Captainspire wrote:Also for some reason, things are faster and I didnt do anything. I even made a 95 planet map and it seems faster.

Some of the changes I put in to address the Radeon display bugs may have decreased game load and galaxy generation times on certain systems. (Specifically, I added some synchronization rules to reduce OpenGL context switching overhead, which means animations during loads should be a bit less-smooth, but the load times themselves will likely be shorter.)

However, if the game is *starting up* faster, I have no idea why that might be happening. Not going to complain about it though 8-)

zakblood

Postby zakblood » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:08 pm

r20722, worked perfectly with the new DPI settings in it with windows 10 builds of mine, tested a few with it, all with higher than default DPI settings :ugeek:

200 and 500 star maps tested, with quick speeds as always to load,

testing tools back in, found them in my inbox lol, thanks

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:21 pm

r20722, game 4144, default galaxy settings
I seem to be very lucky, I have tyl, spice mongers, tinkerers and the ancient dreadnought in walking distance in the neighbourhood :mrgreen:
Random flub or settings for testing ?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:27 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:r20722, game 4144, default galaxy settings
I seem to be very lucky, I have tyl, spice mongers, tinkerers and the ancient dreadnought in walking distance in the neighbourhood :mrgreen:
Random flub or settings for testing ?

Probably a random-ish flub. A normal sized map should have 3 'epic' systems, and Tyl and the dread are two of them. So, you will actually run into those worlds consistently. It's odd that they're both so close to you, but, not *that* odd. 1/20 kinds of odds, I'd guess, or maybe a bit less.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:32 pm

well then to enjoy my luck I colonized Gaia at once. Of course the Gaianids are not amused and revolt.
But strangley their 4 Pop units are listed as attackers as well as defenders.
Which skews the loss calculation somewhat :mrgreen:
And there is a typo in the advisor message after "rebel uprising"
sis.png
sis.png (471.69 KiB) Viewed 24662 times

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:24 pm

Yeah, that's a known issue. But for the short terms it's very convenient, as the Gaiads have a tendency to wipe themselves out. :D

zakblood

Postby zakblood » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:16 am

game save uploaded, 4147
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (97.52 KiB) Viewed 24651 times

just a note more than anything, only posting what seen or found so far in testing

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:58 pm

So, I remember reading somewhere someone bug-reporting "Hey, when I capture the Ancient Stargate, it doesn't work", with a response of "I thought we granted the ancient stargate tech when you do that?" - here's some additional evidence into what's going on:

When you start the game as Ashdar Imperials, you own an ancient stargate & it functions, but you cannot refit it.
When you capture an ancient stargate, the game allows you to refit it, but it does not function - not as a stargate, and if you install construction bays, those don't work either.

So my bet is that the game has a hidden 'ancient stargate' tech that governs the ability to design ancient stargates (though even in this case the game won't let you build more), and that that is separate from the 'ancient control systems' tech that allows you to use the thing.

_____

Also, not exactly a bug but at least a balance issue: The Ashdar Missile Cruiser is a less potent* missile platform than the Ashdar Light Cruiser. You can fit a maximum of 5x missile launcher on the former, but 6x on the latter. I suggest increasing its medium turret slot to an x2 type slot instead of an x1 type slot - or perhaps replacing it with a third x2 missile slot.

* I chose my wording carefully here; the missile cruiser does have some advantages. But if the relevant measure is 'how large a salvo of missiles can I throw at my enemy', it falls short. And, similarly, if the relevant measure is 'how many missiles can I get per unit metal' - well, even with the extra ammunition, it falls short there, too.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:47 am

Yoral Khaganate faction text is out of alignment with the other races by one pixel.
Build r20722

Behavior: Clicking down the list of races I noticed the text shifted alignment when moving from Orthin Conference to Yoral Khaganate. Playing around some more showed that it was Yoral out of alignment always and had nothing to do with the other factions. This is the case in both windowed and fullscreen mode.

Suspect it has to do with the Yoral text being the only one short enough to not require a scroll bar element.

I made a little pixel ladder, starting from the very bright topmost orange pixel of the wrench, and moving up to the very bright blue line at the top of the text area. I made a side mark every 5 pixels. Orthin is 30 pixels and Yoral is 31.

I do feel a little dirty posting this, but the movement caught my eye while clicking through races and I doubt it is intentional, so here we are.

Orthin vs yoral text.png
Orthin vs yoral text.png (68.18 KiB) Viewed 24639 times

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:26 am

Wyvern wrote:So, I remember reading somewhere someone bug-reporting "Hey, when I capture the Ancient Stargate, it doesn't work", with a response of "I thought we granted the ancient stargate tech when you do that?" - here's some additional evidence into what's going on:

When you start the game as Ashdar Imperials, you own an ancient stargate & it functions, but you cannot refit it.
When you capture an ancient stargate, the game allows you to refit it, but it does not function - not as a stargate, and if you install construction bays, those don't work either.

So my bet is that the game has a hidden 'ancient stargate' tech that governs the ability to design ancient stargates (though even in this case the game won't let you build more), and that that is separate from the 'ancient control systems' tech that allows you to use the thing.

It's not hidden; it's called "Ancient Control Systems." The Imperials player starts with it. It's supposed to be unlocked for other factions when they capture an ancient stargate, but either this is not functioning properly or it was never implemented.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:04 am

Arioch wrote:
Wyvern wrote:So, I remember reading somewhere someone bug-reporting "Hey, when I capture the Ancient Stargate, it doesn't work", with a response of "I thought we granted the ancient stargate tech when you do that?" - here's some additional evidence into what's going on:

It's not hidden; it's called "Ancient Control Systems." The Imperials player starts with it. It's supposed to be unlocked for other factions when they capture an ancient stargate, but either this is not functioning properly or it was never implemented.
"Ancient Control Systems" is, indeed, not hidden. It also doesn't allow refitting the ancient stargate. When you capture an ancient star gate, you gain the ability to refit it, which implies there is some hidden tech that governs that.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:27 am

Wyvern wrote:"Ancient Control Systems" is, indeed, not hidden. It also doesn't allow refitting the ancient stargate. When you capture an ancient star gate, you gain the ability to refit it, which implies there is some hidden tech that governs that.

I'm well aware of that; the tech is not doing what it's supposed to do. That should be fixed by the time the DLC goes live.

Also, be aware: any time you intervene in a third-party battle, you will be hostile to both sides. This doesn't currently have any negative or positive diplomatic consequences either way. We left it this way mainly so that you can prevent colonization attempts in your sphere of influence without triggering a war. We will be adding a "parley" system in which you must choose a side in these conflicts, and can threaten or warn off potential aggressors, but until then, don't intervene in a conflict unless you have hostile intent, because these battles are currently a free-for-all in which everyone will attack you.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 am

This is a fun one. Got a graphical freeze on clicking to start a battle while I was being attacked by Death's Hand pirates, but the (combat) music is still running and the in-game pointer still moves- I'm just stuck looking at the galaxy map and the 'attacked at Sargas' window at the bottom, and the animated battle 'explosions' don't animate. For obvious reasons, makes it difficult to do a proper state dump.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:40 am

Arioch wrote:Also, be aware: any time you intervene in a third-party battle, you will be hostile to both sides. This doesn't currently have any negative or positive diplomatic consequences either way. We left it this way mainly so that you can prevent colonization attempts in your sphere of influence without triggering a war. We will be adding a "parley" system in which you must choose a side in these conflicts, and can threaten or warn off potential aggressors, but until then, don't intervene in a conflict unless you have hostile intent, because these battles are currently a free-for-all in which everyone will attack you.

This sounds great.

Can I just suggest to have a diplomatic relationship penalty the more systems are colonised by both parties?
This is to simulate real-life border tensions and to get the AI to declare war on the player more easily

Alternatively you could also take into consideration who is "owning" the system meaning: colonised it first. Everyone else would be considered to be an agressor and receive extra relationship penalty from the "owner"

Natuarlly, if the parties are allies, the penalty would not apply

Return to “Testing”