Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Demonius

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby Demonius » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:15 am

Is it just a streak of bad luck or is the map Generator over-biased on creating ocean worlds? It feels like there are alot more oceans than Continental or Island planets now.

bjg

Postby bjg » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:00 am

Demonius wrote:Is it just a streak of bad luck or is the map Generator over-biased on creating ocean worlds? It feels like there are alot more oceans than Continental or Island planets now.

I suppose they are colonizable, but not fertile - for everybody, - a "good" balance. ;)
Last edited by bjg on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:07 am

Sven mentioned that he was going to reduce the frequency of Ocean worlds (because there are too many); I don't know whether he already did this.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:53 pm

Error pupop when selecting a merchant ship: Heavy Destroyer from Orthin
See pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqscmmgwh9ltpf9/Error_in_image_callback.gif?dl=0

The fleet selected contains two ships from two different merc party. If segregated, only the Orthin one gives error when selected. It also has trouble rendering the image to which the error is probably referring

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:32 pm

heheh, that's a good one. :D

Could you upload that game? Would make it easier to replicate.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:20 pm

Arioch wrote:Could you upload that game? Would make it easier to replicate.

Sorry, both the error log, both the game save upload has failed. I have a steam version but it might be something with my virus scanner
I could play around a bit with its settings but wouldn't really want to

Here is the save, if you would like to check it out:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ntocobygzs54hs/Phidi%20First.rar?dl=0

The error does not disappear if you reload the game, so you can check it out with the above in its full glory ;)

If you would rather like to reproduce it, simply order a Dreadnought of Orthin merc type - just ordered a second one and the same error appeared

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:22 am

zolobolo wrote:Here is the save, if you would like to check it out:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ntocobygzs54hs/Phidi%20First.rar?dl=0

The error does not disappear if you reload the game, so you can check it out with the above in its full glory ;)

This is proving a bit of a puzzle. I can't replicate the issue on my own machines, but it's pretty clear more or less where things are breaking. It's possible the problem has something to do with file-write permissions. In particular, there's a chance that sis64.exe is being prevented from writing a png file to a location inside your stars in shadow install. This would be strange -- the problem doesn't occur in my own Steam test installs, and you obviously do have some power to create files in that directory (otherwise, saving a game wouldn't work, for one thing). But, with the right cocktail of security software and other OS settings, I think it could be happening.

1) Would you go into your install directory, and send me a copy of the file Stars in Shadow/logs/errors.txt? If there was a file-write error, this file should have a record of it.

2) Would you tell me what security software you're currently running? And do you know if your windows account is marked as a system administrator?

3) Can you tell me the full file path of your Stars in Shadow install (I'd guess "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stars in Shadow"), but if it's something else, it would be worth knowing.

Many thanks.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:35 am

sven wrote:1) Would you go into your install directory, and send me a copy of the file Stars in Shadow/logs/errors.txt? If there was a file-write error, this file should have a record of it.

2) Would you tell me what security software you're currently running? And do you know if your windows account is marked as a system administrator?

3) Can you tell me the full file path of your Stars in Shadow install (I'd guess "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stars in Shadow"), but if it's something else, it would be worth knowing.
Many thanks.

Sure, here you go:
1. The error log keeps repeating this:
2016-12-09 18:40:59.279:
error in image callback.
Lua state\GUI\~GalaxyMap\pack_ships.lua:338: failed to open png PreBuiltArt\Ships\MantaBB1\pyramids\shell_white\2.png (load_png2)
Lua state\GUI\~GalaxyMap\pack_ships.lua:338:
Lua state\@@util\restore_color.lua:70:
Lua state\@@util\restore_color.lua:77:
Lua state\GUI\~GalaxyMap\pack_ships.lua:333:
Lua state\GUI\~GalaxyMap\@FleetShips.lua:174

2. I am using ESET Smart Security v9 + MS Defender - MS Firewall

3. Install path is: D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Stars in Shadow

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:35 am

Marauders and pirates still do not seem to do anything even on hard difficulty. So many innocent lives... living in such safety :)

wminsing

Postby wminsing » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:22 pm

New bug report submitted; with the latest build I am getting an error when trying to view planetary defenses after clicking the defense button from the system screen. Seems to happen in all circumstances. I sent it over using the in game tool, let me know if you need more detail.

-Will

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:12 pm

wminsing wrote:New bug report submitted; with the latest build I am getting an error when trying to view planetary defenses after clicking the defense button from the system screen. Seems to happen in all circumstances. I sent it over using the in game tool, let me know if you need more detail.

:oops: Should be fixed in r18557 (now up on 'stable'). Thanks for the report.

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:59 pm

Sorry I think I sent the report 3 times Game_1620. Similar issues continue. Different files.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:08 am

Captainspire wrote:Sorry I think I sent the report 3 times Game_1620. Similar issues continue. Different files.

Sorry for this one. I'm tweaking some of the engine structures to make it easier to add new weapon effects -- and said tweaks appear to have had a number of unintended side-effects. Should be fixed in r18570. As always, thanks for the testing help.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:02 am

Arioch wrote:Sven mentioned that he was going to reduce the frequency of Ocean worlds (because there are too many); I don't know whether he already did this.

I already turned it down a bit once, could stand another small decrease, I think. As of r18573, the ratio of Oceans to the various Arid types should be 2/5 (in earlier builds it was 1/2). I think we do want Oceans to be a relatively common fringe world type, but just how common is debatable... And of course, because there's no spatial component to the placement rates, whatever the exact numbers, it's going to be pretty easy to end up with a corner of the galaxy that happens to be unusually densely populated with one type of planet or another. But I think some amount of that kind of heterogeneous behavior is probably a good thing -- it does suck if you're a race that doesn't like Ocean worlds and you end up in the middle of swath of the galaxy that happens to hold tons of Ocean worlds, but, it should be a relatively rare occurrence, and perhaps the kind of interesting challenge that could open up new strategies, etc ;)

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:06 pm

Out of interest, what are the planetary ratios you are running? I would assume they are different dependent on habitability choice from the starter screen, but I admit to curiosity on the ratios and modifiers.

Return to “Testing”