Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
zolobolo

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby zolobolo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:04 pm

akkamaddi wrote:
Arioch wrote:There are custom reports for the Tinkers; they're just not in yet.

I hope it's not inappropriate for me to step in here.
That looks like the "you found a minor race" screen. Keeping in mind I haven't played the dev builds, are Tinkers still a minor race in the current Legacies pre-release?

(Or what may be more appropriate, do they still have an entry in forced_planets_fun.lua, making a "minor race" colony somewhere in the galaxy, causing this trigger?)

It was my understanding from past posts of the concept, that neutral Tinker colonies will be handled as old colony attempts by the Tinkers sending out colony ships which took for ever to get somewhere

Game-mechanic wise we already have a similar race and that is the humans. They have old colonies scattered around after the war.
Now the way this is handled in game is that humans have a different pop type for these civilians: the refugees, and these get converted to Human settlers over time.

My best guess is that Tinkers would also get a similar mechanic, possibly via the disconnected status, so when a Mayor Tinker faction stumbles upon these they can go: "Look at these poor beggars wasting away without a machine altar"

akkamaddi

Postby akkamaddi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:02 pm

zolobolo wrote:Game-mechanic wise we already have a similar race and that is the humans.

Disconnected tinker colonies would be cool. (Personally, I'd like to see that happen with more races, but I like a universe teeming with life.)

Under the hood ("in the warp engine"?) what happens is "human" becomes "human_refugee", which can be treated as separate from "human" (or "human_slave" or "human_unhappy").

I have not looked into how the refugee colonies or marauder bases are generated. My guess on Gyrfalcon's issue would be that a minor race planetary special was generated (by the fun_planet table or something new in the refugee table) somewhere in his universe. This colony population is labeled "tinkers", not "tinkers_refugee" or "tinkers_forgotten" or some branching type. This sets up the event to show the player text when the minor race's system is first scanned (the text is in RACES.lua). Because that generated colony and the player's new colony both have a population called "tinker", the event is triggered when the player goes to his new colony.

Or perhaps I'm totally wrong and over-thinking this. ;)

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:12 am

akkamaddi wrote:Or perhaps I'm totally wrong and over-thinking this. ;)

Well, you're learning your way around the codebase, which is encouraging :) But you're also not quite right about how the trigger is happening. Rather than being inferred from the population type, native pop colonies events are handled via the planet specials event hooks. So, all the popups and callbacks come into existence because there's an entry in planet.specials, which triggers certain behavior when the planet is initially scanned. The 'native' pop cases are handled in misc_planet_specials.lua, while splinter colonies are handled in splinter_colony.lua. Which case you're routed to is determined by the contents of the planet.specials table, and those values are initialized when people setup a new galaxy, (then removed when the event is resolved).

So, there are really 2 "bugs" here. The first is that I haven't specialized the handling of the 'natives' planet special to pop up an 'oh a disconnected colony' report in the case that Tinker's discover a 'natives' special where the natives belong to their own race. (This is something I did write code for, but, I doesn't appear to be working in practice).

The second is that I haven't setup any Tinker's splinter colonies (which would mirror the 'splinter_colony' planet specials setup used by humans and Ashdar). Arioch's given me text for that case as well, but it's not in the game yet.

akkamaddi

Postby akkamaddi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:39 am

sven wrote: Well, you're learning your way around the codebase, which is encouraging :)

Thank you, even if it is in the way that a bull is "learning his way" around the china shop, and that is "encouraging". ;)

I've posted the modifications to the Viscid. I think the Abbizi race is about done. I've also added the Tacheed Tacheed, but I want to use those for this idea: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=593

I also don't want to share anything until after Legacies. I know your time is far too stretched right now for questions, and I don't know if Legacies will break anything I did. I also apparently didn't figure out the population graphics as well as I thought. (See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=598 ) It seems I did it wrong, but kluged my way through it in such a way that the game doesn't care I did it wrong. I would rather get a bit of guidance from the devs before sharing anything that could be done better.

I see things I would like to try, but I need to learn the code a bit better so I have more in my digital toolbox than "beat it with a stick".

jtrowell

Postby jtrowell » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:36 am

Note : I play with the "use beta builds" activated on steam

Playing as Ashdar Colonials, after finishing a tech (the first one that increase strategic range) when I try to select "Docking Fields" in the tech list (classic view), the game freeze.

Reloading to the previous turn with an autosave will result in the same result.

rustyi

Postby rustyi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:00 am

Game breaking bug, game_4923

Code: Select all

Lua state\Orders\encounters\harpy_guards.lua:40: attempt to call field 'declare_war' (a nil value)
Lua state\Orders\encounters\harpy_guards.lua:40:
 Lua state\Orders\encounters.lua:242:call_optional_encounter_fun:Tinker 2:
  Lua state\AI\handle_reports.lua:42:
   Lua state\AI\handle_reports.lua:40:handle_report:
    Lua state\AI\handle_reports.lua:92:system_encounter
Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:10: attempt to index local '(in)' (a nil value)
Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:10:do_rollover_sound:
 Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:27:
  Lua state\GUI\@EventDispatcher.lua:351:@EventDispatcher.lua:149:
   Lua state\GUI\~GalaxyMap\GalaxyMap.lua:837GalaxyMap.GalaxyMap :
 :

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:08 am

Current dev build, updated 10 minutes ago, game 4926. Fatal crash 6 turns in.

Code: Select all

Lua state\Orders\encounters\harpy_guards.lua:40: attempt to call field 'declare_war' (a nil value)
Lua state\Orders\encounters\harpy_guards.lua:40:
 Lua state\Orders\encounters.lua:242:call_optional_encounter_fun:Teros:
  Lua state\AI\handle_reports.lua:42:
   Lua state\AI\handle_reports.lua:40:handle_report:
    Lua state\AI\handle_reports.lua:92:system_encounter
Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:10: attempt to index local '(in)' (a nil value)
Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:10:do_rollover_sound:
 Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:27:
  Lua state\GUI\@EventDispatcher.lua:351:@EventDispatcher.lua:149:
   Lua state\GUI\~GalaxyMap\GalaxyMap.lua:837GalaxyMap.GalaxyMap :
 :

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Don't know if it's old news...

Version r21515 with Legacies
Game_4953
I have the food shortage warning before ending my turn. Fine, I let Pell synthesize food and I'm back with 11 surplus.
The advisor still warns me about a shortage when I click next turn.
In detail it warns about a shortage due to blockades. But I am currently not blocked.
Yes, Tinkers arrive next turn to get their shiny metal butts kicked in, but currently everthing should be fine :mrgreen:

rustyi

Postby rustyi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Sven, Arioch,
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE DLC LAUNCH (I think I bought it within hours of it going live)!

Really impressed by you both and thank you for all the work you've put into this as well as how open you've been to feedback and testing from the community. It's a great game and you've done a great job. THANK YOU!

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:02 pm

rustyi wrote:Sven, Arioch,
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE DLC LAUNCH (I think I bought it within hours of it going live)!

Really impressed by you both and thank you for all the work you've put into this as well as how open you've been to feedback and testing from the community. It's a great game and you've done a great job. THANK YOU!

Thanks, and you're quite welcome. We hope you enjoy the expansion.

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:22 am

Purchased DLC via Steam, will I still be able to use the dev client, or do I need to uninstall and use the steam version?

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:34 am

Chasm wrote:Purchased DLC via Steam, will I still be able to use the dev client, or do I need to uninstall and use the steam version?

The one shouldn't affect the other.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:50 pm

New Tinker fighters and bombers are used for the starbases of all other races as well (not just Tinkers) on the strategic map
If I play a tactical battle though with such a starbase, the art changes to the race-specific one

When designing planetary defense platform, Gremak small crafts art is shown for Tinkers

When closing alliance as Tinker with Phidi, I get one merc group available for hiring ships and they are selling Tinker designs - is it correct to have a group offering the same designs?

Heavy Ion is still weaker then heavy Railgun in terms of damage and range but does not seem to be earlier available as tech. It does cost less in terms of labor and metal, but suggest it gets the rapid fire mod to dish out more damage though in lover range

Had a three sided conflict where my fleet wanted to help the Phidi (with whom I had a good relationship +60) against Marauders that were attacking them, but the Phidi fleet attacked my ships (no war declaration)

Marauders taking Harmonized slaves displays the art of the un-harmonized pop in the raiding status screen and on the Marauder transport

I know Ashdars and Haduir are basically the same race, but shouldn't the harmonized version of the Colonials have shorter necks and legs based on their non-mecha form?

PD guns seem a bit strange: firing with 8 Defense Turbo Lasers in optimal range only takes down one Strike Fighter. I do not know what the HP is for a single craft but if it is below 20, they might take down 2 fighters instead of just one?

Docking Fields tech does not seem to unlock any benefits or new tech for Tinkers - might not be necessary for them at all
Last edited by zolobolo on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:57 pm

r21573
The Race name for the food consumption display for Tinkers and other harmonized species is too long:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (184.03 KiB) Viewed 20706 times

And I found maybe a way to get rid of the scavanger Rats on Enif as Tinkers. Sell any and all farms to starve them out.
I don't need food. My harmonized neighbours don't need food. So see how that works for you, you unharmonized heathens :P
(Pell get a free pass as they eat air, sunshine and love and are not that bad...for unharmonized heathens :mrgreen: )

Still a thing: revolting minor races fight themself, reminding that friendly fire isn't :mrgreen:

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:46 pm

Just got Tinkers asking for food in a diplomatic event, citing famine on Dzibix. Tinkers should probably be exempted from generating food request events.

Return to “Testing”