Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
sven
Site Admin

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby sven » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:43 am

DDPD wrote:Sent a bunch of bug reports!

Thanks for the reports. There were two serious outstanding issues in r21244, both should be fixed as of r21245. Keep 'em coming :)

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:51 am

Captainspire wrote:Issue: Unable to build a colony ship.
(Stable) 7,800,000 Enfi
(+80k) 1,293,548 Gremak

This is actually working as intended (though it's a rare edge case). You only have 1.29 Gremak, so, loading them into a colony ship would leave you with only a tiny Gremak presence on Sindri I. You need at least 2 Gremak to build the colony ship. (Enfi slaves won't autoload onto the ship under the colony-ship auto loading rules.)

Now, arguably, in a case like this one, we should let you build the colony ship, but have it start empty. That's a messy case to resolve well though -- as for player's less experienced than yourself, empty colony ships are going to be inherently confusing objects.

Another option, in this case, would be to let you build the colony ship, but, populate it with Enfi. Or, perhaps, your last few remaining Gremak. Either option potentially creates other sorts of confusing side effects, but they're arguably less confusing than the situation you're in. I'll admit though, the colony ship code has been a hotbed of bugs in the past, and so my inclination is to leave well-enough alone.

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:06 am

sven wrote:Another option, in this case, would be to let you build the colony ship, but, populate it with Enfi. Or, perhaps, your last few remaining Gremak. Either option potentially creates other sorts of confusing side effects, but they're arguably less confusing than the situation you're in. I'll admit though, the colony ship code has been a hotbed of bugs in the past, and so my inclination is to leave well-enough alone.

Have been happy with the colony ship boarding rules so far and no bugs encountered

What might be an option to lift the mentioned confusion without risking the stability of the system is a floating hint on the ship building icon pointing to the missing "resource": in this case Gremak pop: "lack the population: -1.2 Gremak"

rustyi

Postby rustyi » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Agree with tooltips being super useful.

Similarly, I have a minor race, waterless, and I have the "harmonize" button when I click on them, but it's greyed out without a tooltip telling me why.

Also it wasn't clear to me why my first colony ship's tinkers weren't harmonized, but when I sent a transport with new tinkers to the planet, they stayed harmonized. I get I need the machine temples, but some of the nuances aren't clear (at least to me, ymmv). :)
Maybe it makes sense to add a splash screen (or something to the initial screen) that explains harmonizing a bit more?

EDIT: v21248 - I don't know that harmonize is working. I can't seem to harmonize any races. Uploaded logs - game 4517
EDIT2: I can harmonize humans, but no one else.
Also found a placeholder text: when in diplomacy screen, under factions, if you click on tinkers, in the bottom panel it says name (Pacifist, TODO)

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:19 pm

zolobolo wrote:What might be an option to lift the mentioned confusion without risking the stability of the system is a floating hint on the ship building icon pointing to the missing "resource": in this case Gremak pop: "lack the population: -1.2 Gremak"

That seems like a very sensible suggestion. I've just implemented it; and the patch it should roll out to the Steam dev build as soon as the the new tinker mechanics stabilize a bit.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:25 pm

rustyi wrote:EDIT: v21248 - I don't know that harmonize is working. I can't seem to harmonize any races. Uploaded logs - game 4517
EDIT2: I can harmonize humans, but no one else.
Also found a placeholder text: when in diplomacy screen, under factions, if you click on tinkers, in the bottom panel it says name (Pacifist, TODO)

Harmonize is still not working as intended -- and this is the main reason the current build (r21249 atm), is still not marked as 'stable'.

The intention is that you can harmonize most of the major races, but, only if certain conditions are meet. Specifically, you'll need a machine altar on the planet, and sufficient loyal troops to force the locals through your cyborgification process.

However, right now, it's not working. The humans are being used as a test case as a I finish up the mechanics, so, they're *sortof* working.

Sufficient tooltips that players can figure out how all this works are certainly an important TODO.

DDPD

Postby DDPD » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:26 am

It seems that losing a colony to starvation causes a few issues.

First, the system remains your faction color and looks as if you occupy it, though you don't.

Second, you can't recolonize the planet that died out.

Third, is starvation meant to kill an entire planet in one fell swoop?

All of the above are reproduceable.

rustyi

Postby rustyi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:39 am

Strange, related bug.

+6 food. City Planning is greyed out with the error, "doubling food would lead to starvation" -- but the food use is 0 because it's a tinker world. So not sure how doubling zero would lead to starvation. Especially since I'm net positive food (+6) and early game.
Game logs #game_4525

Another minor bug. Landing on a derelict colony with factories (tinker) - says I don't have a machine altar. However, if I buy a machine altar and sell one of the previous factories... it sells my machine altar first and not one of the normal factors (as intended).

rustyi

Postby rustyi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:23 am

Crash on new turn. Early game so not sure why I'm getting a battle ref. Game_4526

Code: Select all

Lua state\Orders\orbits.lua:77: bad argument #1 to 'next' (table expected, got nil)
Lua state\Orders\orbits.lua:77:
 Lua state\Orders\battles.lua:638:complete_attack:
  Lua state\Orders\battles.lua:1172:battle_writebacks:
   Lua state\Orders\battles.lua:469:
    Lua state\Orders\battles.lua:452
Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:10: attempt to index local '(in)' (a nil value)
Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:10:do_rollover_sound:
 Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:27:
  Lua state\GUI\@EventDispatcher.lua:351:@EventDispatcher.lua:149:
   Lua state\GUI\~GalaxyMap\GalaxyMap.lua:837GalaxyMap.GalaxyMap :
 :

Hit ignore and got more fun on the next turn: game_4527. I suspect it's something the AI is doing offscreen

Code: Select all

setup_commands failed:
Lua state\Orders\battles.lua:287: can't set Light Cruiser.dead during object creation.
Lua state\Orders\battles.lua:287:setup_ships:
 [string "setup_commands"]:1:
  Lua state\Orders\battles.lua:36:
   Lua state\Orders\battles.lua:34:setup_battle:
    Lua state\Orders\pending_attacks.lua:714
Lua state\Orders\battles.lua:36:
 Lua state\Orders\battles.lua:34:setup_battle:
  Lua state\Orders\pending_attacks.lua:714:
   Lua state\Orders\pending_attacks.lua:967:resolve_all_pending_attacks:
    Lua state\Orders\end_year.lua:189
Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:10: attempt to index local '(in)' (a nil value)
Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:10:do_rollover_sound:
 Lua state\Sounds\looping_sounds.lua:27:
  Lua state\GUI\@EventDispatcher.lua:351:@EventDispatcher.lua:149:
   Lua state\GUI\~GalaxyMap\GalaxyMap.lua:837GalaxyMap.GalaxyMap :
 :

EDIT: bug is game breaking on multiple playthroughs.

EDIT: I haven't seen this bug in the latest version, so believe to be fixed.
Last edited by rustyi on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rustyi

Postby rustyi » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:31 am

Small bug - when creating a new game, if you create 7 races, and you try to use the drop-down menu for the bottom-most race, the race menu doesn't scroll so the bottom 2-3 options are cut off. Easy enough work-around (select humanity on a different line and ashdar or whomever on the bottom), unless of course you were trying to play against 6 humanity factions, lol.

rustyi

Postby rustyi » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:30 am

Another bug - playing tinker against another tinker race.

Noticing that the tinker AI isn't prioritizing machine altars. So their tinkers are disconnected. And for some planets, they appear to have factories, but not machine altars.
uploaded game_4538

EDIT: More "strange" AI behavior:
Mineral rich planet - rigel III - AI built all markets.
Game_4539

zolobolo

Postby zolobolo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Following are recurring (should have been resolved according to feedback and change-log):

1. Sorting of pop types on planet when embarking pops - as a specific pop has less units on the planet, it dynamically changes in the order and the player needs to "chase" the icon through the list :) This has been solved for a while and seems to be coming back

2. AI does not seem to build market places. I don1t recall them doing this but according to the log they should be and since the AI should be using the trade pool the same way the user does, it is an important building for their income and transport capacity (unless the later is scripted). Tested just now with normal AIs on large galaxy and for over 300 turns I have not seen any AI empire built marketplace yet

bjg

Postby bjg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:14 pm

game_4559
This is the "start" upload - I've played way further, but the complaint is about the map generation. Pretty sure this is not the first time I'm saying that - setting "native races" to "abundant" doesn't add "natives" (found none after 150 turns), but generates a lot of harpies (7 packs in the neighborhood, mostly guarding worthless systems).

silverkitty23

Postby silverkitty23 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:38 pm

I cannot delete any save games from the 'load game' menu. I get a LUA error on a missing sound (I pressed "send bug report" on that a couple times, but redundantly posting here) and 'ignore' doesn't make the save game delete.

bjg

Postby bjg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 pm

game_4561
A research from the queue ("Deflector Shields" in this case) was discovered from a derelict. The queue stopped after reaching it (asking to choose a research) instead of skipping over and continuing. BTW, some sort of "remove from the queue" functionality would be very useful.

Return to “Testing”