Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
SirDamnALot

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby SirDamnALot » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:02 am

Arioch wrote:
SirDamnALot wrote:If a planet has more than 7 improvement slots, the glyphs are leaving the boundaris of their GUI box to the left.
The second planetary defense slot is also colliding with the output row

They probably should scale like the pop icons.

What screen resolution are you running at? That only happens on very small window sizes.

Normal 1920x1080 but I play in windowed mode, the window is nearly covering the whole screen:
screensize.png
screensize.png (258.96 KiB) Viewed 17469 times
screensize2.png
screensize2.png (201.79 KiB) Viewed 17469 times

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:26 am

sven wrote:
Captainspire wrote:Uploaded game "game_1179"

Ok, something scared the ever loving $&!T out of me playing the game. On the planet I named New York, I clicked on the solar system and all the sudden the entire User interface vanished, the orbiting dots on that solar system spun in reverse order super fast, and all of 4-5 music themes played all at once.

So aside from thinking the game was possessed, I noticed the spinning was slowing down and waited. It finally stopped by it self and game play returned to normal.

This is an interesting mess. I encountered a similar bug a few times while demoing the game for journalists at Gamescom :oops: My current hunch is that there's something going wrong with the introduction of the new music tracks -- I believe I may have misconfigured them in a way that leads to writes into random memory locations, and that, of course, can lead to all kinds of possessed-game problems. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to replicate it though. I'll push a few candidate patches (doing whatever I can think of to be more careful with memory writes around music track transitions), but if you see any more bugs of this sort, please keep reporting them. Also, if you can go into windows process list, and export a memory dump of the process while the sound is going crazy, I wouldn't mind a copy of that as well ;)

edited by sven: This crash *may* have been fixed by the changes posted in r16740, please let me know if you notice it in any of the newer builds.

It a happened again. Uploaded game 1232
At planet Gienah, owned by an enemy empire. The Bomb Icon took to the center of the screen, about 20 times its normal size then slowly shrunk in size as it returned to normal size over the planet in question. UI vanished and multi musics played at once. At the end of the possessed momnent, it went back to normal. I tried to take a screen shot but at full screen it just captured a black image. No time to capture the memory. I even went back to the moment it happened and tried to perform the same actions, but it didn't repeat.

Hold up, ok my Internet didnt sync up when I loaded the game and I didnt get the upgrade patch. Now that I have the latest patch, I'll keep an eye out for it.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:02 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:
Arioch wrote:What screen resolution are you running at? That only happens on very small window sizes.

Normal 1920x1080 but I play in windowed mode, the window is nearly covering the whole screen:

Are you running windows 10? Are you using the user interface scaling options?

I noticed recently that when I turned up scaling on my 1920x1200 projector to make text in windows more readable (125% I think it was), that SiS also seems to have scaled the UI, seems to act like it is a lower resolution. It could no longer fit the planetary report on the left side while having a planet open, like can easily do on my desktop with no scaling. This despite them technically being the same resolution display.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:14 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:Normal 1920x1080 but I play in windowed mode, the window is nearly covering the whole screen:

There are a couple known UI scaling issues in this case, but, it's a resolution I'd like to better support. I don't think you're the only person with a 1920 x 1080 monitor who's going to want to play in windowed mode.

As of r16765, I've posted some changes that should downscale the improvement icons and production text appropriately in these diplay cases. However, there's still an outstanding issue with the 1920 x 1080 windowed mode involving the bombard/invsasion panes: they're oddly overlapping the planet bar. Fixing that remains a TODO item.

edited by sven: The ground combat pane layouts should now be formatted properly in windowed mode (and also 1366x768).

mharmless wrote:I noticed recently that when I turned up scaling on my 1920x1200 projector to make text in windows more readable (125% I think it was), that SiS also seems to have scaled the UI, seems to act like it is a lower resolution. It could no longer fit the planetary report on the left side while having a planet open, like can easily do on my desktop with no scaling. This despite them technically being the same resolution display.

I've noticed similar odd behaviors with my mac book while running in bootcamp. Basically, there are 2 different use cases here that we might want to support: one is people who have a high UI scaling because they have a very high res monitor (i.e., an apple retina display), and in that case, working at a lower resolution as implied by the OS UI scaling probably the right behavior. However, the other possibility is that people are using the OS UI scaling options for improved readability, and in those cases, it would be better to ignore the UI scaling numbers when setting our own raw screen resolution. tldr; I probably need to take another look at this issue, and likely expose a toggle in the options menu so that people can decide whether or not they want the game to run at an artificially low resolution.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:37 pm

sven wrote:As of r16765, I've posted some changes that should downscale the improvement icons and production text appropriately in these diplay cases.

The improvment slots now work fine for me in windowed mode =)

Edit: spoke to soon, now the icons next to a ship overlap a bit:
scale.png
scale.png (96.73 KiB) Viewed 17447 times

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:23 pm

After discovering Coral Blooms, Tendao isn't a valid candidate for terraforming to a Coral world. I should think it could be a candidate- there isn't anything obvious that disqualifies it. All other Island worlds I have are able to be terraformed to Coral.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:51 am

Social Engineering does not actually appear to provide its documented effect of adding an improvement slot to planets. Save 1262 uploaded.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:46 am

Scrapping (or, at least, scrapping outposts- I haven't tested with other ships) doesn't provide the promised credits and metal. Save 1265 uploaded, just after an outpost was scrapped.

nweismuller

Postby nweismuller » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:21 am

The lists of names for Marauder groups and their leaders, as well as the leaders of splinter colonies, should probably be expanded. Having <Marauder Group 6> and three different 'Administrator Abbots' in a game is disorienting and ugly.

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:38 am

sven wrote:
Captainspire wrote:Uploaded game "game_1179"

Ok, something scared the ever loving $&!T out of me playing the game. On the planet I named New York, I clicked on the solar system and all the sudden the entire User interface vanished, the orbiting dots on that solar system spun in reverse order super fast, and all of 4-5 music themes played all at once.

So aside from thinking the game was possessed, I noticed the spinning was slowing down and waited. It finally stopped by it self and game play returned to normal.

This is an interesting mess. I encountered a similar bug a few times while demoing the game for journalists at Gamescom :oops: My current hunch is that there's something going wrong with the introduction of the new music tracks -- I believe I may have misconfigured them in a way that leads to writes into random memory locations, and that, of course, can lead to all kinds of possessed-game problems. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to replicate it though. I'll push a few candidate patches (doing whatever I can think of to be more careful with memory writes around music track transitions), but if you see any more bugs of this sort, please keep reporting them. Also, if you can go into windows process list, and export a memory dump of the process while the sound is going crazy, I wouldn't mind a copy of that as well ;)

edited by sven: This crash *may* have been fixed by the changes posted in r16740, please let me know if you notice it in any of the newer builds.

GHA! I t got me again. Scared the ever loving begeezes out of me. This time it happened on the Game Settings window. I left it alone for a minute or two and then the 5+ song played, the screen went just to the star background, (not even the rendered planets) went through its possession, then went back to the normal Gamesettings/Map Size screen.

I'm ok, just need a moment.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Captainspire wrote:GHA! I t got me again. Scared the ever loving begeezes out of me. This time it happened on the Game Settings window. I left it alone for a minute or two and then the 5+ song played, the screen went just to the star background, (not even the rendered planets) went through its possession, then went back to the normal Gamesettings/Map Size screen.

Oh dear. Maybe I configured one of the new music tracks incorrectly again? I'll take another look at those settings. Thanks for reporting this.

Also: could you hit the "upload game logs" button in the options pane the next time you get a chance? That will give me a bit more system diagnostic info to look through.

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:12 pm

sven wrote:
Captainspire wrote:GHA! I t got me again. Scared the ever loving begeezes out of me. This time it happened on the Game Settings window. I left it alone for a minute or two and then the 5+ song played, the screen went just to the star background, (not even the rendered planets) went through its possession, then went back to the normal Gamesettings/Map Size screen.

Oh dear. Maybe I configured one of the new music tracks incorrectly again? I'll take another look at those settings. Thanks for reporting this.

Also: could you hit the "upload game logs" button in the options pane the next time you get a chance? That will give me a bit more system diagnostic info to look through.

I cant click the "update game logs" button because this happened in game creation window

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:14 pm

Captainspire wrote:I cant click the "update game logs" button because this happened in game creation window

If you load up any game, you should get the option to hit that button. And if/when you do, I'll get some additional machine/diagnostic info, along with your save game.

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:05 pm

sven wrote:
Captainspire wrote:I cant click the "update game logs" button because this happened in game creation window

If you load up any game, you should get the option to hit that button. And if/when you do, I'll get some additional machine/diagnostic info, along with your save game.

OH!....well...now I know. Thank you.

P.S. I am still not getting mineral/resources from scrapping stations. Just a little money back.

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:48 pm

2 issues I noticed playing human.
When speaking to someone via diplomacy you morph into a lizard *seems only humans do this*
When capturing a fully functional Gremak marauder pirate world it will have more planetary slots then allowable (3 farm, 3 factory, 3 market). This is ESPECIALLY noticeable on glacier worlds (where 5 slots is the norm.

Return to “Testing”