Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
mharmless

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby mharmless » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:56 am

Pixel gap between volume indicator boxes is inconsistent, looks bad.
Build r16451

Pixel gap between volume elements is variable.png
Pixel gap between volume elements is variable.png (53.34 KiB) Viewed 19654 times

The gap between volume elements is not consistent, even though the resolution is plenty high enough for them all to be equally spaced. In the snip above you can see how the first five volume setting elements are much closer than the later ones. The first four gaps are 2 pixels wide, and all the later gaps are three pixels wide. The exact arrangements of the gaps varies with resolution, this one is 1920x1200.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:02 am

Upwards of seven second delay when cycling through race choices the first time after a new installation.
Build r16451

Fresh install, clicking New Game takes upwards of seven seconds to open, and once open each race will also take such a long delay to select. Once viewed, a race's panel will open immediately on subsequent selections. The delay is long enough to trigger the system 'please wait' cursor.

This was observed on the Home Theater PC; AMD A10-6800K APU, 8gb RAM, 240gb SSD, Windows 10 x64.

Suspect the game is unpacking or otherwise preparing some assets?

Edit: Similar delay the first time I colonized a planet within the game.
Edit2: And the first time opening a production queue.
Last edited by mharmless on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:08 am

Gremak Empire descriptive text is too long and ends up wrapping outside of the highlighted area.
Build r16451

The text ends up appearing across four lines instead of three, resulting in 'dinner' sticking down into the Orthin's area, and not being included in the highlighted area. This is at 1920x1200 resolution.

Gremak text too long.png
Gremak text too long.png (314.74 KiB) Viewed 19654 times

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:19 am

Possible off-by-one error when deciding how many players are allowed for a given number of stars?
Build r16451

Small galaxy;
10 stars - 2 players
13 stars - 3 players
17 stars - 4 players
21 stars - 5 players
25 stars - 6 players
29 stars - 7 players
33 stars - 8 players
37 stars - 9 players
40 stars - 9 players

It looks like the intention might have been 1 player per 4 stars, but the threshold is actually (4 x player count) + 1. The tenth and final slot is added at 41, barely out of reach for a small galaxy. Might be by design, just checking.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:25 am

Research screen; turns remaining estimate extends beyond UI element
Build r16451

Research text out of bounds.png
Research text out of bounds.png (110.45 KiB) Viewed 19654 times

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:33 am

Science output breakdown tool tip does not include yield from the racial scientist.
Build r16451

As in the screenshot; my yield is 10 but the breakdown doesn't show that +5 is coming from the scientist.

Research summary does not include yeild from racial scientist.png
Research summary does not include yeild from racial scientist.png (31.54 KiB) Viewed 19654 times

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:55 am

Alt+255 does not seem to be trapped for in planet names
Build r16451

Tried entering everything unusual I could think of into the planet rename field to cause problems, and everything seems to be trapped for and handled except for alt+255, which produces the hollow square. Most items do not produce a character and are ignored, as expected. Unicode items are replaced with the ? in the screenshot. Some items map to a 'normal' character that is related to the unusual character. I would expect alt+255 to be ignored as input like the majority were.

Also, tangentially related, a name entirely made of spaces is invalid, but leading and trailing spaces are kept if there are other characters in the name. May be as designed; initial expectation is that they would be stripped.

alt+255 might not be caught.png
alt+255 might not be caught.png (332.84 KiB) Viewed 19654 times

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:04 am

Orbiting planets in galaxy map are not coloring in with ownership
Build r16451

Went back and looked at some old screenshots to confirm they used to. None of them are so far in this outing. Hadar here has the second planet colonized and as you can see in the shot the second planetary orbit dot did not color in red as expected.

Orbiting planets not coloring in.png
Orbiting planets not coloring in.png (266.99 KiB) Viewed 19654 times

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:28 pm

I uploaded my saved game file.

1st time playing the humans after about a year and it was hard to say the least. When the galaxy came a knocking, I was flattened quick.

I noticed a bug/flaw #1 when I settled one of the unused planets in the systems the Marauders had. When ever an enemy fleet came to attack me, the marauders came and intercepted and wiped them out. (Kina hard to fight through about 20+ battle ships.
Flaw or bug, it kept me alive and the pain staking efforts to rebuild began.

Bug #2
After about, I’d say 300 turns, the only remaining faction were the one who had conquered the rest of the galaxy and my 3 planets, stuck behind a wall of Marauder ships. All the enemy planets were secure planet side and I had presumed, eventually, even the 30 Marauder battle ships wouldn’t be enough to protect me from what was out there. By turn 700 or something, I noticed I saw not a single enemy ship anywhere.

Made a few scouts, and outposts and discovered, the enemy fleets were just all gone, save for this one colony ship going in and out of refit.

Even more odd, several planets had no infrastructure or even a lot of population. Just filled with militia and armor. So, yay!? They went into another dimension and left the galaxy to me?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:21 pm

Captainspire wrote:Even more odd, several planets had no infrastructure or even a lot of population. Just filled with militia and armor. So, yay!? They went into another dimension and left the galaxy to me?

Wow, opps. In a recent patch, I added a matinance cost to tanks / battlemechs. However, I neglected to teach the AI to moderate it's tank production. And thus, the once great Yoral empire in your save appears to have completely bankrupted itself building endless mechs that it can't afford. Added a quick workaround on 'dev', the patch should migrate to stable as soon as we push the big morale/slave update.

Thanks for the report :)

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Human Refugees do not produce any food.
Build r16451

The text for human refugees indicates they are a poor source of taxes and have little time for science. The production output is the standard human 2. Food is also zero, deviating from human norm of 0.5, with no mention in the descriptive text. Suspect this was an oversight during food changes.

Edit: They dont make food after assimilating either, looking more closely here it probably is because of being an Arid world. Farms can be built, but perhaps not habitable enough for basic farming by the population?

edited by sven: Yes, exactly. Though the rules have some interesting edge cases -- for example, on a glacier world, your humans wouldn't produce 0.5 food, but, yoral colonists would.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:55 pm

mharmless wrote:Human Refugees do not produce any food.
Build r16451

The text for human refugees indicates they are a poor source of taxes and have little time for science. The production output is the standard human 2. Food is also zero, deviating from human norm of 0.5, with no mention in the descriptive text. Suspect this was an oversight during food changes.

Food production is complex. Humans (of any variety) only produce their 0.5 food in the case that they're on garden, island, coral, or paradise planet type. There's a documentation node in game that explains this, but it's probably too hard to find. You need to click on the "low fertility" link in the planet's food production info pane.

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:28 pm

Defense slot restrictions/counting is done in the queue and in the primary build slot, but not both.
Build r16451

If you have one planetary defense slot, with none built, you can select planetary defense as your primary build item and will be prevented from adding any to your queue. If your primary item is something else, you will be able to add exactly one to your queue, the add button will be disabled after that first entry. However, with one in the queue you are also able to put one into the primary slot, resulting in two planetary defense in your build orders when you only have one slot.

This does not actually build two planetary defenses. The first will build normally and the second will sit in the queue. When its turn comes it will simply be discarded. Appears to waste no time or resources, and was not able to get it to create two while the limit was only one.

Edit: This applies to improvement slots too

mharmless

Postby mharmless » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:04 am

The ship information panel is not properly dismissed when sending a trader to the trade pool
Build r16451

Uploaded an example as game_1174.

In the example game:
1) Select the freighter at Menkib, and see the ship information panel appear at the bottom.
2) Adjust the map view by clicking on it with the left button and moving it such that the fleet info panel at the bottom overlaps a star system or fleet. Make sure the one you have in mind is fully behind the panel.
3) Use the yellow 'start trading' icon to send the fleet at Menkib to the pool.
4) The fleet goes to the pool, the ship panel appears to be dismissed.
5) Attempt to select the star or fleet you had selected in step 2, without clicking on the map to move it.
6) Observe that you cannot.
7) Click anywhere on the map where the ship info panel normally does not appear.
8) Hear the 'panel dismissed' sound effect.
9) You are now able to select those ships and stars which you were previously unable to, which were apparently blocked by an invisible panel.

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:08 pm

sven wrote:
Captainspire wrote:Even more odd, several planets had no infrastructure or even a lot of population. Just filled with militia and armor. So, yay!? They went into another dimension and left the galaxy to me?

Wow, opps. In a recent patch, I added a matinance cost to tanks / battlemechs. However, I neglected to teach the AI to moderate it's tank production. And thus, the once great Yoral empire in your save appears to have completely bankrupted itself building endless mechs that it can't afford. Added a quick workaround on 'dev', the patch should migrate to stable as soon as we push the big morale/slave update.

Thanks for the report :)

No worries. Thank you. That would be quite a quirk / event in the game where 90% of everything of an overpowering empire just vanished and you had to figure out what happened? Like what happened in MoO3 but MoO3 never existed so, yea

Return to “Testing”