Report - Current Bugs and Issues

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
sven
Site Admin

Re: Report - Current Bugs and Issues

Postby sven » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:14 pm

bjg wrote:game_905
Click Refit on the planet's screen, point a cursor to one of the ships - it does not show the stats anymore, making it hard to choose which ship to refit. I've never liked the way it was, prefer to have that information written on or next to ship's icon, but it was better than nothing.

Opps. Should be fixed on 'dev' (r14940+). I'm extending and upgrading a bunch of the on-hover mouseovers. Though as is so often the case, upgrades can end up breaking a few related things. Thanks for the report.

bjg

Postby bjg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:21 pm

sven wrote:
bjg wrote:Should be fixed on 'dev' (r14940+).

It's broken on "stable". Guess I can do without it for a short while.

bjg

Postby bjg » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:47 pm

The "build progress" text on the planet screen is often overlay and not readable:
SiS_buildprogress.PNG
SiS_buildprogress.PNG (18.68 KiB) Viewed 18997 times

It would also be helpful to see how many turns left on the "Planetary Report" list.

Zaskow

Postby Zaskow » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:58 pm

In my current game I've annexed colony with refugees and I can set, but not change production for this colony. I uploaded logs - 'game_906'.

Save attached:
bug with production.rar
(81.06 KiB) Downloaded 1305 times

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Zaskow wrote:In my current game I've annexed colony with refugees and I can set, but not change production for this colony. I uploaded logs - 'game_906'.

Neat bug, thanks for the upload :)
This should no longer occur in games created after the current dev patch (r14943). But for your current game, just hitting "next turn" should give you back control of your colony.

(No need to upload the save rar -- if you use the game upload feature to generate a game # for me, that's sufficient.)

bjg

Postby bjg » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:56 pm

game_912 - can't move Gremaks from Osada. Something with rounding?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:08 pm

bjg wrote:game_912 - can't move Gremaks from Osada. Something with rounding?

Yup, definitely a rounding bug. Should be fixed in the next patch (r14957). (Your Gremak population on Osada may still behave oddly, but, future invasions should leave you with population numbers that are rounded to the closest 1e-6 units.)

Thanks again for the testing help.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:05 am

I don't know if this is a bug or my missing understanding of how shields work.

I've encountered a Gremak command cruiser with 2 basic shield modules and I could not touch it.
My fleet consited of 2 Phidi cruisers(?) (first bigger hull) and several Torpedo Destroyers, all armed with (2x) nuclear missiles and lasers.
I pumped the CC with missiles and damage was shown as lots of green -16, but it does not seem to scratch it at all.
The single CC toasted one after another of my ships while being hammered with nuclear missiles.

Do shields have a soak value, so that some damage value is just beneath them, regardles how often you fire ?
(e.g. Shields soak 5 damage per shot, so it would be impossible to damage it with defense lasers (1-3), regardless how many bolts come flying)

In relation to that: I was in orbit of the Gremak colony and slowly bombing it, waiting for my troops to arrive.
The command cruiser was launched by the besieged colony (No neighbouring colonies), which leds to the question:
What happens to orbital construction installations when enemys are at the gates?
Are they destroyed ?
Can they be destroyed to limit the colony response to small ships ?
What happens when a big ship is in construction and the space station/star base gets toasted/sold/gremlins ?

Sorry, if that are stupid questions, maybe the community already has the answers ?
I'll check if I have a autosave from that situation (currently re-starting quite often due to learning curve ;) )

bjg

Postby bjg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:14 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:I pumped the CC with missiles and damage was shown as lots of green -16, but it does not seem to scratch it at all.
The single CC toasted one after another of my ships while being hammered with nuclear missiles.

Green means damage to shields. You need to deplete them first in order to "scratch" the ship. Keep in mind that shields are partially recharging every turn (25% base, more if there are special modules mounted), so you need to damage them (significantly) faster than they recharge.
I'd suggest kinetic weapon for early game - it bypasses first two generations of shields. Lasers are good against missiles/interceptors. Missiles make sense if you bring a lot of ships - they can fire from the rearward. Missiles are also ok against certain planet defenses.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:13 pm

Green means damage to shields. You need to deplete them first in order to "scratch" the ship. Keep in mind that shields are partially recharging every turn (25% base, more if there are special modules mounted), so you need to damage them (significantly) faster than they recharge.
I'd suggest kinetic weapon for early game - it bypasses first two generations of shields. Lasers are good against missiles/interceptors. Missiles make sense if you bring a lot of ships - they can fire from the rearward. Missiles are also ok against certain planet defenses.

Green equals Shield hit was my guess too, but I was stunned how much it could absorb. In the Interface bar below, the shield representation (4 solid green walls around the ship icon) didn't seem to budge one bit. IF that is an indicator how strong the shields currently are.

Lets see, I had 2 cruisers with 4xmissiles (+some lasers), 3 torpedo destroyers with 6 missiles each
and a few destroyers/scouts with mixed weapons.
At least I could throw 26 missiles at the command cruiser per round, gives a minimum of 208 damage.
Is that enough to overcome the the recharge rate?
It sure looked like a lot of fireworks, until it zapped the missile ships ;)

bjg

Postby bjg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:50 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:At least I could throw 26 missiles at the command cruiser per round, gives a minimum of 208 damage.

A Command Cruiser is a powerful beast, it's shields where 240 at least. Also most of your missiles probably didn't hit, being destroyed by CC's defenses (lasers, etc.), and that where the fireworks you've seen.
Shields did have their share of glitches, but lately (I've played yesterday the latest) they work as intended (I believe).

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:15 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:In relation to that: I was in orbit of the Gremak colony and slowly bombing it, waiting for my troops to arrive.
The command cruiser was launched by the besieged colony (No neighbouring colonies), which leds to the question:
What happens to orbital construction installations when enemys are at the gates?
Are they destroyed ?
Can they be destroyed to limit the colony response to small ships ?
What happens when a big ship is in construction and the space station/star base gets toasted/sold/gremlins ?

Here the answer depends on whether or not the Gremak you were attacking were fighting fairly :)
The Imperal Gremak (who have gold/white ships, and are a playable race) need to build their ships using the same basic consustruction rules as everyone else. So, if you do take out their orbital installations, they shouldn't have the capacity to create anything bigger than a light cruiser. (Though the Gremak CL is one of the beefiest in the game, perhaps enough so that it should really have some infrastructure prereqs.)

However, if you're attacking a Marauder base, the rules are different. In theory, marauders don't actually build new ships -- they're get them via some combination of black-market recruiting / trading. Which means that in their case, blockading the planet won't actually do anything to stop them from getting new, top of the line ships. (Right now, I think the ships the Marauders are getting are probably too abundant, and too strong, that's a balance issue I need to look at.)

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:19 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:Lets see, I had 2 cruisers with 4xmissiles (+some lasers), 3 torpedo destroyers with 6 missiles each
At least I could throw 26 missiles at the command cruiser per round, gives a minimum of 208 damage.

As bjg has said, there's a chance this is all working as intended. Particularly if the CCs have tier 2+ point defense and shields. But there have been a number of balance and rule changes around shields recently, and so even if there aren't any bugs, per say, this is a battle I would like to take a look at. Could you upload the game (using the Option Pane -> upload game logs button)? Many thanks.

bjg

Postby bjg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:40 pm

Does "City Planning" suppose to "finish" once the planet reaches it's population maximum? It doesn't.
game_915, Aurelon III.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:17 pm

sven wrote:
SirDamnALot wrote:Lets see, I had 2 cruisers with 4xmissiles (+some lasers), 3 torpedo destroyers with 6 missiles each

As bjg has said, there's a chance this is all working as intended. Particularly if the CCs have tier 2+ point defense and shields. But there have been a number of balance and rule changes around shields recently, and so even if there aren't any bugs, per say, this is a battle I would like to take a look at. Could you upload the game (using the Option Pane -> upload game logs button)? Many thanks.

Done! Game_916.
I thought I didn't have the save anymore (got only one from later), but you can rewind several years, how cool is that for debugging! :D
I just redid the fight and even won with few losses :lol:
What may had me confused was that the orientation of the ship in the menu bar was opposite to the actual orientation, I was probably looking at the aft shields, not front, d'oh.
And it was a marauder base, not the real deal Gremaks. (Would have been to easy wiping out one planet and be rid of one competitioner ;) )

Edit: And to answer my silly question "what happens to a production when the space station goes missing":
Directly nothing, the build cue still shows cruiser, progress and all. But clicking next turn, the advisor pops up saying that the colony is building nothing and will switch to research.

Return to “Testing”