AMD Cards: We've seen a lot of glitches on AMD cards. At present, it looks like we've managed to fix all the serious outstanding AMD issues. But -- certain cards, particularly the 5000 and 6000 Radeon series, have some very interesting quirks, and I wouldn't be surprised to see new versions of old bugs cropping up in the weeks and months ahead.
NVIDIA Cards: NVIDIA hardware generally runs the game well -- and off all the major manufacturers, their cards typically age best -- though very old (cira 2005) NVIDIA cards will run into performance issues when rendering some of the in-game assets. We've had one report of crashes on a machine configured with SLI-mode dual NVIDIA Geforce's -- if you have a similar configuration, please test the game using SLI mode, report any crashes, and then (assuming you discover a similar glitch), disable SLI when testing SiS.
If you encounter any new graphics glitches while testing on particular hardware, or manifestations of old issues thought to have been fixed, please post about it here.
Known Serious bugs:
- Crash during Gameplay: The game crashes between turns, possibly after emitting error like the following:
Code: Select all
ERROR BEFORE: glPushAttrib(a), GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY
These errors were much more common in earlier builds, affecting most intel laptops. As of r13327, the issue is rarer, but, it is still affecting a handful of testers using Intel HD graphics. Our latest suggestion for testers who encounter this bug it to try using the 64-bit SiS build, as discussed in this thread. If you run into this bug, please let us know.
Known Affected hardware: Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Intel HD Graphics 4400
- Crash on Launch: The game crashes when trying to launch, giving you the option of creating a "crash.dmp" file. If you see a bug of this sort on your machine, please let me know. It's one I'm actively trying to track down -- but manifestations appear to be rare. It *might* have been fixed by some changes that went in around r13027.
Known Affected hardware: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Know Glitches \ Quirks:
- Water Shader glitches: The animated caustics in the Phidi ships / leader display occasionally 'skips' or 'flickers'.
Known Affected hardware: ATI Radeon HD 4xxx-5xxx series, Intel HD Graphics
- Star Display glitches: The animated system suns appear as distorted "disco ball" renderings. (The thread contains some examples of what this looks like.) This was a widespread issue at the start of the beta, though it appears to have been fixed in all but a small minority of the cases. If you encounter this issue, please make sure your video drivers are up to date, then, if it persists, post a message on the forums, letting us know that you've discovered another AMD card affected by the issue.
Known Affected hardware (past): AMD A10-6800K APU graphics, ATI Radeon HD 5700, AMD Radeon 6990 HD
Known Affected hardware (current): 1 (somewhat eccentric?) AMD A10-6800K APU graphics chip
Bugs I'm *pretty confident* are fixed in the current stable build:
- Crashes during gameplay: The game crashes between turns. I suspect this is related to a texture allocation in the logic for generating planet city light / cloud layers. On some cards, a similar glitch appears to occur when ships are captured during tactical combat (and thus need to load new skin textures).
Known Affected hardware: AMD Radeon HD 7480D.
Similar bugs reported on:AMD Radeon HD 6900M, AMD Radeon R7 200.
- White Screen of Death: Game boots up to a white screen with a blue cursor.
Known Affected hardware: AMD Radeon HD 6700. AMD A6-3400M APU integrated graphics.
- Crashes on startup: The game crashes on launch.
Known Affected hardware: AMD Radeon HD7850.