Loading Overlays

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
sven
Site Admin

Loading Overlays

Postby sven » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:34 pm

I've just taken a shot at re-structuring some of the multithreading code so that we can show overlays and/or progress indicators while the game is processing.

The current progress indicators are pretty crude -- but, my main concern right now is seeing whether or not the new system is in fact stable. To enable the load screens, I'm now doing some things behind the scenes that *might* reintroduce some of the AMD-specific crashes we saw at the beginning of the beta. So, if you notice any crashes after updating to the latest stable build (r15147), please let me know :)

edited by sven: Looks like I may have gotten a bit ahead of myself. Testing on my own AMD hardware has indeed revealed some driver issues. As of r15149 (now marked stable), the loading overlays are turned off. Hopefully, I'll find a workaround for the bugs soon...

sven
Site Admin

Re: Loading Overlays

Postby sven » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:04 am

Ok, as of the current 'dev' build, I have a version of the loading overlays that's not immediately crashing on my own AMD hardware.

I haven't had a chance to do careful stability testing on Intel/AMD drivers yet. But, if anyone wants to take it for a spin, the latest build is up on 'dev', r15158.

NullVoid

Postby NullVoid » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:33 pm

Starting a new game on dev crashes the game on universe generation with the 64-bit binary. 32-bit seems to work as intended. The crash.dmp file is 905,484,429 bytes in size, so I can't attach it to e-mail or to the forum. Is the updater capable of sending that?

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:07 pm

NullVoid wrote:Starting a new game on dev crashes the game on universe generation with the 64-bit binary. 32-bit seems to work as intended. The crash.dmp file is 905,484,429 bytes in size, so I can't attach it to e-mail or to the forum. Is the updater capable of sending that?

I can replicate the crash. (I tested the 32 bit version of the 'dev' build on intel drivers last night, but, not the 64.) So, no need to send the diagnostic file. Thanks for helping to track down these bleeding-edge issues :)

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:42 pm

sven wrote:I can replicate the crash. (I tested the 32 bit version of the 'dev' build on intel drivers last night, but, not the 64.) So, no need to send the diagnostic file. Thanks for helping to track down these bleeding-edge issues :)

Ok, as of r15162, I've got a version that appears to be reasonably stable on all my AMD/Intel/NVidia test setups. I've just marked this build as 'stable', so, now we'll see how well it performs in the real world ;)

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:14 pm

sven wrote:Ok, as of r15162, I've got a version that appears to be reasonably stable on all my AMD/Intel/NVidia test setups. I've just marked this build as 'stable', so, now we'll see how well it performs in the real world ;)

Looks like the changes introduced a minor bug that could come up when you hit "Continue" from the start menu. Should be fixed in the new stable build, r15165. (Ty to bjg for the error upload.)

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:36 pm

With the new overlays, the FX effect when fighters fire is not rendered properly (on AMD Radeon 200 series GPU):
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (643.6 KiB) Viewed 14624 times

With parameter -no_overlays, the effect is working:
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (409.13 KiB) Viewed 14624 times

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:43 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:With the new overlays, the FX effect when fighters fire is not rendered properly (on AMD Radeon 200 series GPU):

Wow, neat bug! I'll look into it. Many thanks.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:59 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:With the new overlays, the FX effect when fighters fire is not rendered properly (on AMD Radeon 200 series GPU):

Ok, I'm not able to replicate this glitch on my own AMD hardware. However, I can think of one thing that might fix it. Would you try updating to the latest 'dev' build (15167), and checking to if the fighter effects are still corrupted?

(The loading screens in this mode are still incomplete -- atm, they're just a blank white screen with some grey boxes -- but, if the effects bugs go away, I could update them to something a bit nicer looking.)

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:49 pm

sven wrote:

Ok, I'm not able to replicate this glitch on my own AMD hardware. However, I can think of one thing that might fix it. Would you try updating to the latest 'dev' build (15167), and checking to if the fighter effects are still corrupted?

(The loading screens in this mode are still incomplete -- atm, they're just a blank white screen with some grey boxes -- but, if the effects bugs go away, I could update them to something a bit nicer looking.)

Updated to R15167 and some strange results.
Initially the effect is working, but then switches to the black boxes.
If the effect is working, I can even rewind it with the frame bar and it still works.
After it goes to black boxes, it stays with black boxes. Even if I load a savegame and fight a different fight.
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (187.71 KiB) Viewed 14609 times

- game_988, Rasalgethi, Bombers VS a pirate cruiser/destroyers,
Sometimes the effect works for several bomber strikes, then goes dark. One time I could win the fight without the glitch occouring.
- game_987, Menkent I, strike fighter VS planetary defenses
several tries, it always goes black on the second attack.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:05 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:Updated to R15167 and some strange results.
If the effect is working, I can even rewind it with the frame bar and it still works.

Ok, this is all very helpful. I have a few more theories, and have uploaded another patch (r15169). I know it's probably about time for you to head to bed, but, if you get a chance, I'd be curious to know what effect, if any, the latest 'dev' changes have on these glitches.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:17 am

sven wrote:
SirDamnALot wrote:Updated to R15167 and some strange results.

Ok, this is all very helpful. I have a few more theories, and have uploaded another patch (r15169). I know it's probably about time for you to head to bed, but, if you get a chance, I'd be curious to know what effect, if any, the latest 'dev' changes have on these glitches.

R15173 (blue background with "loading") with AMD Radeon 290x, still the same symptoms.
The effect works 1 or 2 times, then stays corrupted as boxes until Quit & restart of the game. (Both 32 and 64 exe)
Last edited by SirDamnALot on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:16 am

R15173 (blue background with "loading"), now with Nvidia GTX 570.
No symptoms of the error to be found.
Also: the GPU load behaves itself in window mode.
(Caps at refresh rate, and 50% gpu load max. The AMD 290x caps too, but still works like mad)

SirDamnALot

Postby SirDamnALot » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:31 am

R15173 (blue background with "loading"), now with AMD Radeon 5870.
Not really surprising, same driver, same error. Black boxes occour.
Thats all from my hardware archive :mrgreen:

Maybe some other AMD users could do a sanity check ? Here are the 2 savegames that have the 2 fighter battles:
http://www.fastshare.org/download/SavedGames.zip

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:42 pm

SirDamnALot wrote:R15173 (blue background with "loading"), now with AMD Radeon 5870.
Not really surprising, same driver, same error. Black boxes occour.
Thats all from my hardware archive :mrgreen:

Hrm. I'm unable to replicate the error using my Radeon HD 7000, using driver version 14.501.1003.0 (which was released in 2014). When you installed SiS, it looks like your machine was also setup with driver version 14.501.1003.0. Have you updated your graphics driver since installing SiS?

Return to “Testing”