Phidi scoutship question

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Chasm

Phidi scoutship question

Postby Chasm » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:10 pm

3 races have a specific scout class hull, Phidi, Yoral, and Human. The Phidi version has a built in Deep Space Scanner and Warp Lane Amplifier (Leaving 2 system slots, allowing it to mount a reactor + science stations). Yoral and Human, on the other hand have only the Deep Space Scanner built in (leaving 2 system slots, allowing them to mount a reactor + either Warp Lane Amplifier or Science Stations). It could be that the Phidi scout is just more advanced (It could be an interesting racial ability to have all Phidi ships equipped with warp amp by default, and would make sense with the Phidi trader ethic), or it could be an oversight on the scout ship hull templates (All scouts are meant to have built in Deep Space Scanner and Warp Lane Amplifier) , or perhaps the phidi was allocated the extra system in error.

Arioch

Re: Phidi scoutship question

Postby Arioch » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:37 pm

I think that's probably a mistake; the default design has 2 warp lane amplifiers. We went through a period in which the scouts had built-in warp lane amplifiers, and the Phidi scout configuration may be a holdover from that.

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:57 pm

Many of the starter scout cruisers have interesting design issues (multiples of systems that only work once). I just figured that all the scout class hulls would be able to mount deep space scanner, warp lane amplifier and science stations in a single hull according the scout hull description.

bjg

Postby bjg » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:30 pm

Are science stations giving research points already?

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:32 pm

Nope, but a scout ship should have science stations, no ?

bjg

Postby bjg » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:37 pm

Chasm wrote:Nope, but a scout ship should have science stations, no ?

I'm not aware of any benefits it's giving. Are you?

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:49 am

ATM there is none, Im just looking at it from a ship class standpoint.

NullVoid

Postby NullVoid » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:57 am

As it stands right now, for most races having science stations in a ship means either letting go of Warp Stabilizers, letting go of Shields, or building some kind of Heavy Cruiser Scout.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:32 pm

Arioch wrote:I think that's probably a mistake; the default design has 2 warp lane amplifiers. We went through a period in which the scouts had built-in warp lane amplifiers, and the Phidi scout configuration may be a holdover from that.

Yes, it's a mistake. The Phidi scout is really a Destroyer hull, but, it's hardpoints were more in line with a light cruiser's (I was probably looking at the Ashdar CL/Scout when setting it up).

I'm patching it on dev to have more Human/Yoral style hardpoints (brining it into line with what you'd expect from a destroyer hull). Also, I'm giving Phidi "Advanced Metallurgy" as a starting tech, as I don't think it makes much sense for them to "discover" how to make destroyers, given that they basically already have one as a Scout.

Ideally, the Phidi Scout, Torpedo Destroyer, and Destroyer would all be different mods of the same hull (like the Ashdar Scout Cruiser/Light Cruiser). Setting that up get's slightly awkward, however, as their center hardpoint has some unusual properties. We'll probably bring the behaviors into line with the other assets eventually, but, for now, the Phidi's hulls have some odd quirks.

Return to “Testing”