My Kingdom for a U-Turn

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
Captainspire

My Kingdom for a U-Turn

Postby Captainspire » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:14 am

No really, I cannot turn.

http://i.imgur.com/qByA1F1.jpg

Im smack against a planet and I cannot turn

Even smaller ships cannot just sit and spin. I've tried putting my mouse directly over the ships and they either fly straight ahead or turn 5 degrees turn going forward?

I have a feeling this is an intentional game play design to build your ship accordingly?

evil713

Re: My Kingdom for a U-Turn

Postby evil713 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:01 am

You either retreat or add more maneuvering thrusters, or you know never fly that close to a planet again and chalk it up to a learning expereance.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:29 am

If you need to turn in place and can't get it done with the normal right-click UI, you can turn on explicit rotation by expanding the "MOVE" tree at the bottom of the screen and clicking on ROTATE.

evil713

Postby evil713 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:08 am

Eh, even with that he will still be stuck there for 2 or 3 turns saying nothing about a full 180.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:19 pm

evil713 wrote:Eh, even with that he will still be stuck there for 2 or 3 turns saying nothing about a full 180.

Right now, a cruiser should be able to complete a 135 degree turn, assuming it has an undamaged engine and no extra thrusters.

A destroyer should be able to do a full 360.

But, if you have a ship with a badly damaged engine, it's possible that it will end up in a situation where it can only move forward, and even then, only at a very slow speed.

The tactical motion model is intended to feel vaguely like naval warfare -- a huge hull can plow forward at a halfway decent pace, but, it will have a hard time turning. Smaller hulls should spin more easily. And ships with destroyed engines will be "dead in the water", stuck in the their position, though possibly still able to fire some guns. A damaged ship that can limp forward, but has lost the ability to turn, is "working as intended".

Return to “Testing”