Tech Tree Restructuring

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
sven
Site Admin

Tech Tree Restructuring

Postby sven » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:34 pm

The latest 'dev' patch includes a fairly thorough restructuring of the technology tree, along with significant changes to almost all ship hulls.

If you want a rough overview of how things are currently connected, this version of the tech chart is a more-or-less correct visualization of the in-game techs as of r13622 r14187 r16134.

You should be aware that this version of the tree includes many unimplemented techs. For example, there are now parts of the tree that anticipate the planned mining, farming, and morale mechanics, but, at the moment, you'll get no benifit from researching them. More of the tier 3 and 4 weapons are present, but, most aren't working as intended. (For example, the Stellar Surge Beam lacks the ability to destroy planets.)

This round of changes is not backwards compatible -- so, when the patch migrates to stable, all your old save games will once again fail to load.

Gilleous

Re: Tech Tree Restructuring

Postby Gilleous » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:12 am

I know it's too soon to ask and may be odd that this is what I chose to ask, but...

What's the difference between a Modern Stargate and an Ancient Stargate?

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:08 am

We're still working out the details (and the proper nomenclature), but the gist is:

An "Ancient Stargate" doesn't require a gate at the other end to function, but is very high tech and so can only be constructed in the endgame (though the Ashdar Imperials start with one). A "modern stargate" requires gates at both ends to function, but is available earlier in the tech tree.

This part of the tree (and the parts dealing with other faction specials) is still not well developed.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:02 pm

As a visual person, I would really love to see the visualized tech tree you posted in this thread actually present in the game (or a variation of such), rather than just the sidebar we currently have in the beta. A visualized tree is generally easier to follow, rather than requiring us to click through hyperlinks to figure out where we want to go.

As far as nomenclature of the gates. Maybe call the connected gates Bridge Gates, and the more advanced version that doesn't require another end could be simply a Gate (or come up with a fancy name on top of it).

blissauthority

Postby blissauthority » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:52 pm

Regarding the Neutrino Scanner/Tachyon Scanner confusion:

What if you just swap their positions in the tech tree? Neutrino Scanners are the tier 1 tech, replaced with superior Tachyon Scanners as you get more advanced.

Captainspire

Postby Captainspire » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:10 pm

i'm more hoping that is, that the tech screen layout is easier to manage rather than the way its laid out already. I'm all for originality but anything practical is fine with me.

ja7833

Postby ja7833 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:24 pm

Is some version of:

http://stars-in-shadow.com/images/technology_chartmvi.jpg

in the current build that I am overlooking?

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:24 am

ja7833 wrote:Is some version of:

http://stars-in-shadow.com/images/technology_chartmvi.jpg

in the current build that I am overlooking?

If you mean a graphical version of the tree, no.

ja7833

Postby ja7833 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:44 pm

Yes - that is what I meant - no problem - thanks!

NullVoid

Postby NullVoid » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:37 pm

It's not integrated, but this thread has some software that generates the tree automatically from the game files. You could reach it with an [ALT]+[TAB].

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=248

Return to “Testing”