SiS Updater and Installer

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
sven
Site Admin

Re: SiS Updater and Installer

Postby sven » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:52 pm

bjg wrote:It seems like the update server doesn't scale well, not being able to provide updates way too often. If you use the same server to receive game uploads you might consider splitting them.

The short explanation is that the update server is seeing pretty limited use atm. So in light of the low load, I've downgraded the server. That downgrade is still somewhat experimental; I've also noticed a few moments where the new backend just seems to refuse all connections for a minute or two -- which is pretty annoying. If these kinds of service outages do seem to be happening fairly frequently, let me know. I think I may need to switch back to a pricer virtual machine.

bjg

Postby bjg » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:15 pm

sven wrote:If these kinds of service outages do seem to be happening fairly frequently, let me know.

Well, I can't update since this morning (tried several times).

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:40 pm

bjg wrote:
sven wrote:If these kinds of service outages do seem to be happening fairly frequently, let me know.

Ok. I don't really understand what's going on; but, clearly, the lower-spec server option is having issues. I've just switched us back to the slightly more expensive option. Let me know if that fixes it for you.

bjg

Postby bjg » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:45 am

sven wrote:
bjg wrote:

Ok. I don't really understand what's going on; but, clearly, the lower-spec server option is having issues. I've just switched us back to the slightly more expensive option. Let me know if that fixes it for you.

Thanks. You can check timing to see if I was updating before or after the switch, but I was able to do so.
Just want to point out that there is a life outside of the AWS. ;)

bjg

Postby bjg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:35 pm

I'm receiving a yellow "NOTICE" saying that the latest version is 20026 while I'm running 20025 and I need to update. Meanwhile the updater says I'm up to date.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:12 am

bjg wrote:I'm receiving a yellow "NOTICE" saying that the latest version is 20026 while I'm running 20025 and I need to update. Meanwhile the updater says I'm up to date.

I was able to update from 025 to 026 without a problem. If you delete your version.txt and sis.exe and sis64.exe and re-run update.exe, it should get you back on the latest version.

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:08 am

Did this, its still warning me I'm using 25 , not 26.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:57 am

Chasm wrote:Did this, its still warning me I'm using 25 , not 26.

Hah. It would appear that for a few hours, the private test server's 'stable' build was actually 1 revision behind the current steam release. (Arioch didn't get the warning, because he's on 'dev'). Um, should be fixed now. But... looks like the version warning feature did in fact do what it's supposed to do. You were, in truth, behind the 'official' latest release :)

bjg

Postby bjg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Something broke in my (quite old) desktop (probably a fan), so I've plugged my ThinkStation (which was collecting dust in a corner). How do I install the SiS on a new computer without Steam? The original install is way out of date, and the download link seem to be gone (didn't think it was important).

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:31 pm

bjg wrote:Something broke in my (quite old) desktop (probably a fan), so I've plugged my ThinkStation (which was collecting dust in a corner). How do I install the SiS on a new computer without Steam? The original install is way out of date, and the download link seem to be gone (didn't think it was important).

Even if it's out of date, if you still have the update.exe it should be able to update the game to the current version. If this doesn't work, you can send Sven an email and ask him for a new download link.

bjg

Postby bjg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Arioch wrote:
bjg wrote:Something broke in my (quite old) desktop (probably a fan), so I've plugged my ThinkStation (which was collecting dust in a corner). How do I install the SiS on a new computer without Steam? The original install is way out of date, and the download link seem to be gone (didn't think it was important).

Even if it's out of date, if you still have the update.exe it should be able to update the game to the current version. If this doesn't work, you can send Sven an email and ask him for a new download link.

I am (unpleasantly) surprised he didn't reply here. :(

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:09 am

bjg wrote: I am (unpleasantly) surprised he didn't reply here. :(

Sven is hip-deep in some outside work at the moment, so he may not be able to spend much time in the forums for the next few weeks.

The challenges of indie development. :D

Chasm

Postby Chasm » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:07 am

I still have the original link for DL of the client. Would it be alright if I forward it to bjg? I know the link still works due to a recent reformat issue.

Arioch

Postby Arioch » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Chasm wrote:I still have the original link for DL of the client. Would it be alright if I forward it to bjg? I know the link still works due to a recent reformat issue.

That's fine, but I'm not sure whether it will work; I don't recall whether the download URL contains an account-specific component.

sven
Site Admin

Postby sven » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Your original installer links should still work, and the installer itself is very backwards compatible. The core network protocol hasn't changed in years, in fact, I believe even the *alpha* version update.exe would still be capable of getting the most recent build of the game off the dev sever.

The download links are linked to your individual accounts, in the sense that a game installed using Chasm's installer will have Chasm's user id attached to any bug reports you upload from that install. (If you install and play via steam, the bug-report includes your steam "persona" name). For that reason, it might be best if you try to find your old install link. I've re-forwarded it to the email account your registered with back in the beta.

Return to “Testing”