Returning after a bit of a break

A forum for chatting about in-development game features.
echo2361

Returning after a bit of a break

Postby echo2361 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:21 pm

Hey guys. So for the last couple of days I've been playing a lot of SiS after taking a break from things for a while. I have to say, I'm really having a blast slowly building my empire, fighting off marauders, and taking colonies from rival empires. The ship designing feels solid to me and my efforts there translated well into the combat. I was going with a destroyer focused early game fleet outfitted with lasers and supported by missile equipped light cruiser with PD lasers to cover the destroyers. Things went really well until I ran into my first Yoral heavy cruiser, then things got even more interesting :)

The game continues to look great. I can't wait to see race-specific technologies and diplomacy added in to really bring the galaxy to life. I'm also looking forward to more special discoveries and events like the Gia planet that used to be a human colony.

The only thing I came across that bugged me was the difficulties I had in capturing a marauder planet due to their constantly regenerating planet defenses. I love that we have planet defenses in this game, don't get me wrong. I was just surprised to see the same defenses I destroyed the turn before reappear in the next turn. Those heavy lasers were a deadly surprise my poor destroyer hordes :( Luckily for me I had enough missile cruisers to safely bombard the planet at long range each turn to destroy the defenses each time until I wore the planet down enough to land troops, but it got pretty tedious fighting the same battle each turn since I couldn't risk auto-combat since my destroys would just rush forward and get killed if I did that. Is it an intended feature to have planet defenses rebuild that fast? I suppose it could have simply been the high production of the marauder world I was dealing with, but I would think a blockaded planet would have a hard time rebuilding defensive cannons under the watchful gaze of an enemy fleet in orbit. Maybe you might consider adding a penalty to production for blockaded worlds?

Anyways, time to get back to the game. I'm having quite a bit of fun and I can't wait to see what is in SiS's future so keep up the good work!

sven
Site Admin

Re: Returning after a bit of a break

Postby sven » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:30 pm

echo2361 wrote:Is it an intended feature to have planet defenses rebuild that fast?

No -- it's pure programmer laziness. Marauder's don't have normal economies -- the theory being that virtually all of their effective production comes from otherwise invisible black-market shenanigans. I wrote the rules for these "black market economies" quickly -- and parts of it are embarrassingly bad. Um, like the part that says "set the raider's planetary improvements to a fixed template at the end of every turn". I'll see about fixing that in the next patch.

echo2361 wrote:Anyways, time to get back to the game. I'm having quite a bit of fun and I can't wait to see what is in SiS's future so keep up the good work!

Glad you're having fun, and thanks for the feedback!

Return to “Testing”